Deathlords, strong sub faction or not?

Dracothjay

I can't help but look at the warscrolls and the subfaction itself and think 'wow', but as it's has a lack of bodies and expensive, limited unit selection I'm wondering if this army would even be competitive in anyway? Can it be a brutal, tough army to crack?

at 2k you could include 40 skeletons and a WK with standard for bodies.

1 hour ago, L.Bromley said:

I'm thinking about starting a deathlords army

Arkhan the black 320

4 Archi 440

4 Archi 440

2 Harbingers

2 Mortis Engines - allies

summoning pool 220 pts (2 harbinger)

2000 on the nose

What do you think?

Outside of GA: Death, Arkhan works best with other wizards and more points for summoning. Deathlords wasn't really designed to be played with Arkhan as the general, if you're not playing Nagash you definitely need at least one of the other montarchs in a deathlords list, that makes Arkhan more viable as a 2nd montarch. Again, stacking Mortis Engines without spamming wizards is not necessary - seems like you want to make a magic heavy list rather than a deathlords list, arkhan and the mortis engine both buff other wizards and yet you aren't taking any, 680 points of your army not being used 100% effectively, basically got 680 points just to spam curse of years every turn.  12 Morghast is overkill if you're only running Arkhan as you don't have any points left for anything else. 12 Morghast would be fine in theory if you were running at least one other Montarch, but you can't fit that in with allies too.

Either go for multiple montarchs + morghasts or go for a heavy magic / more summoning theme, you can't do both well.

E.g You could run:

Manfred

Arkhan / Neferata

4 Archi

4 Archi

2 Harbringers

9 hours ago, xspire said:

Outside of GA: Death, Arkhan works best with other wizards and more points for summoning. Deathlords wasn't really designed to be played with Arkhan as the general, if you're not playing Nagash you definitely need at least one of the other montarchs in a deathlords list, that makes Arkhan more viable as a 2nd montarch. Again, stacking Mortis Engines without spamming wizards is not necessary - seems like you want to make a magic heavy list rather than a deathlords list, arkhan and the mortis engine both buff other wizards and yet you aren't taking any, 680 points of your army not being used 100% effectively, basically got 680 points just to spam curse of years every turn.  12 Morghast is overkill if you're only running Arkhan as you don't have any points left for anything else. 12 Morghast would be fine in theory if you were running at least one other Montarch, but you can't fit that in with allies too.

Either go for multiple montarchs + morghasts or go for a heavy magic / more summoning theme, you can't do both well.

E.g You could run:

Manfred

Arkhan / Neferata

4 Archi

4 Archi

2 Harbringers

Whilst your probably right about Arkhan I just like the idea of him leading my army,   You are right in what you have said about needing extra wizards but I will tell you my thinking behind the list.

Arkhan's curse of years is arguably one of the best spells in the game so why wouldn't you want to attempt it every turn? Plus it leads to some great stories and that is what the games about. Plus with all the buffs on the table Arkhan is summoning the two harbingers on a 3 so pretty reliable

Yes 360 points in Mortis engines is a lot but here is why I like them, 1) its 24 extra wounds 2) it's a great buff to Arkhan and helps with de buff energy wizards. 3) double wail is potentially good against low bravery heros. 4) the double d3 heal bubble is beyond fantastic in an army with so few models. Also the double d3 MW to everything on an average of 16" is super good. 5) two Mortise Engines will look cool as ****** and no one ever runs them in pairs.

9 hours ago, xspire said:

12 Morghast is overkill

Rule of cool means 12 looks ace on the table.

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

you could squeeze in Nef to your list t

She is a fair amount of points to squeeze in, she offers loads I will give you that but honestly I don't know if it's worth it.

53 minutes ago, Nico said:

He is good though for the cost.

I think he is the best mortach especially for the cost, the other two just don't do enough for me, especially at there cost

I think Mannderp’s Command Ability is probably worth it now especially now it’s no longer at the expense of a 5++ Ward Save. 

The problem Death have is that they are sitting ducks for Tzeentch (unless they went Changehost and we bring big daddy) - especially Skyfire Spam, sitting ducks for Bonesplitterz and sitting ducks vs KO.

They are now a mediocre combat army with limited speed and negligible ranged threat; and without the Nurgle 5++ they aren’t exciting me at all as an army.

9 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

Whilst your probably right about Arkhan I just like the idea of him leading my army,   You are right in what you have said about needing extra wizards but I will tell you my thinking behind the list.

Arkhan's curse of years is arguably one of the best spells in the game so why wouldn't you want to attempt it every turn? Plus it leads to some great stories and that is what the games about. Plus with all the buffs on the table Arkhan is summoning the two harbingers on a 3 so pretty reliable

Yes 360 points in Mortis engines is a lot but here is why I like them, 1) its 24 extra wounds 2) it's a great buff to Arkhan and helps with de buff energy wizards. 3) double wail is potentially good against low bravery heros. 4) the double d3 heal bubble is beyond fantastic in an army with so few models. Also the double d3 MW to everything on an average of 16" is super good. 5) two Mortise Engines will look cool as ****** and no one ever runs them in pairs.

Rule of cool means 12 looks ace on the table.

I just think everything you've described would be better playing GA: Death with lots of wizards so you can use lots of spells instead of two a turn with only one unit to summon all game, to each their own.

Archived