Cavalry in Age of Sigmar (includes some whinging)

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

I have had the opposite to my scenario happen to me. I charged a unit of 20(?) Blood reavers that were unbreakable and rubber Lance syndrome ensured. I caused a woeful amount of damage most of which was saved and then nothing in the battleshock phase. My elite shock cavalry ended up in a grind fest for 3 whole turns with 20 Blood reavers!!!! 

One thing that I've done more and more is to retreat my unit out of combat if this happens.  With a decent run roll you should be able to outpace them for a bit, although there's still a risk they could reach you with a charge, it may allow you to position yourself better or pull that unit away.

My opinion (putting Drakespawn aside as for some reason they're the only Cavalry that didn't get a price cut) is as follows.

IMO the problem Cavalry suffers is lack of rend. It's no coincidence that the heavy Cavalry that actually gets used tends to be the ones that actually have rend. In older Warhammer, not only did charging mean you wounded a lot better, but you also pierced through armour a lot better, so you could always rely on Cavalry doing some damage on the charge.

In AoS, sure, you wound a little better, but unless you can crack through that armour your extra damage is wasted and not useful. This is why a lot of Cavalry doesn't feel impactful in the game, because they suffer even worse from rubber lance syndrome than before.

That being said, maybe we just have to get used to it. I don't think Cavalry are poorly costed at the moment, it's just without the rend, many won't fulfill the narrative of charging through the enemy, bodies going flying due to the impact, etc. They serve other purposes, mainly being mobile tanks which have potential to do the above if they manage to break through the enemies armour.

Archived