Hammerhal Army List

Elodin

So, I recently purchased a Daughters of Khaine Blood Coven box for skirmish, because I liked the models. They got smashed. A lot. 

Anyway, after looking at how ridiculously expensive ($) a full Daughters of Khaine army would be, I decided to try and use that boxset as allies. The Hammerhal box set caught my attention, because I used to have an Empire army in 8th edition. 

Basically, I'm wondering how I can take this Army List I currently have and turn it into something that won't get tabled every game, specifically through using the Blood Coven and Hammerhal boxes as a basis. 

The only thing I can't change is that the Witch Aelves are already built and the medusa is on foot. The war alter can switch between witchbrew or death swords though. 

Any help would be extremely appreciated, as I'm pretty unaccustomed to AoS. Thanks for your time.

IMG_1727.PNG

IMG_1728.PNG

Hi @Elodin

Mixed lists like yours can do perfectly well competitive in games of AoS, as evidenced by the army that recently won the GT final. They can take a bit more practice and getting used to exactly what the strengths and limitations of your chosen units are than some more "pure" armies, but can be incredibly rewarding once you've practiced enough with them, and allow you to develop a solid "Swiss army knife" force tailored to take on anything and with little weaknesses of their own.

I've got no personal experience playing with or against Daughters of Khaine stuff, so I might not be the best source of advice concerning them but here goes: Cauldrons of Blood and Witch Aelf units tend to shine when you've taken multiples of both, allowing multiple units of Witch Aelves to benifit from multiple blood shields, but there's no reason one of each couldn't effectively support each other. I'd almost definitely take witch brew over the deathsword!

The Bloodwrack Medusa is great against armies with a lot of one wound models and a solid choice. If your opponent knows what she can do she'll be shot off the board on turn one, if not he's got a bunch of awesome new lawn ornaments.

The Freeguild General and Cauldron both have great command abilities, and you'll have to decide which you want leading the force. Personally I'd steer towards the Freeguild general as his can benefit up to three units and you'll get more use out of it early on the handgunners. Command trait wise Inspiring is pretty great as it means you can stand him next to units and have them not run away. Sigmarite Weapon and shield is the best way to arm him as he won't last long in combat and you'll want to keep him away from stuff/alive as long as possible. Don't forget to give him a stately war banner for an extra chance to ignore battleshock too!

If you've got models to fill the 100 point hole he leaves with, I'd consider sticking the Battlemage on the Hurricanum to get more bodies on the floor. 10 more Witch Aelves leaving you 30 points to get triumphs with? I'd look at putting the Phoenix Stone artefact on either the Hurricanum or Cauldron to keep it alive longer.

The Liberators + Castellant are a solid combo, and with the Battlemage/Hurricanum casting mystic shield on them, you could be looking at a unit with a 2+ save, rerolling 1s. Make sure to give them two grand hammers/blades, with one on the prime for the extra attack. :) 

On 10/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, Double Misfire said:

I'd consider sticking the Battlemage on the Hurricanum to get more bodies on the floor.

How exactly does the Hammerhal allegiance work? Is it off number of models or number of units? Cause if it's models, I putting more bodies on the floor might not be a good idea.

Archived