failed retreat

raketjan

Question

Hi, I decided to retreat from a combat, but due to a building behind me I had to roll pretty high to be able to end up outside of 3¨  from enemy units. I rolled a 1...

What happens then? We couldn't find anything about what it means to fail a retreat. Do I get to fight in the combat phase?

anyone know, and also perhaps with a reference to where in the rules and /or FAQ an answer to this can be found?

5 answers to this question

The moment you declare you retreat you must move more than 3" away from all enemy units. If you are unable to do that, your still a legit target to attack and attack with.
If you cannot retreat this way all the regular steps still occur. In such a scenario you can fight in the Combat Phase. You cannot charge or shoot later that turn however.

Keep in mind that this is just regular Movement. I don't know where the "I rolled a 1" comes in. As you cannot choose to run if you have enemy models 3" near you. You can choose to remain stationary (not move) or retreat (move). 

12 minutes ago, Killax said:

you cannot choose to run if you have enemy models 3" near you. You can choose to remain stationary (not move) or retreat (move). 

I'm not sure where that idea comes from. I've never seen anything suggesting that running and retreating are mutually exclusive. Conceptually, if I want to get out of combat I'm going to run as quickly as I can!

11 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

I'm not sure where that idea comes from. I've never seen anything suggesting that running and retreating are mutually exclusive. Conceptually, if I want to get out of combat I'm going to run as quickly as I can!

Your right! I'll remove that part, I'm mixing game rules here. 

In any case, "failed retreats=Move+Run" in this case mean the enemy is still within 3" and thus the fighting in combat proceeds as usual. Just note that shooting is not optional.

There is nothing in the rule about failing, you can only choose to do so if you can actually do it.  Of course you might not know if you can get out of 3" before moving models, so if you try and then find out you still have  a model within 3", then you have to move them all back exactly where they were as its otherwise an illegal move  So if you cant get out of 3" you cant choose to do it, so you just act normally.

Archived