New Khorne Player needs help

Aztac

Hey all!

I´m a new AOS/Khorne player and would like to have a 2000 point army. 
The army should be a strong one in general but in particular against nurgle and stormcasts.
What do you think of this list?

Leaders:
1x Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (General) 260p
1x Bloodsecrator 120p
1x Bloodstoker 80p
2x Slaughterpriest 200p

Battlelines:
30x Bloodletters 270p
10x Bloodwarriors 200p
20x Bloodreavers 140p

Units:
10x Skullreaper 360p
5x Wrathmongers 180p

Battalion:
Gore Pilgrims 180p

=1990p

Is that so playable and strong?
What would you do differently?
Would another bloodthirster be a better choice?

Hi and welcome! Great to have you here. I think your working towards an interesting list. One of the things that you could consider here is that if you'd switch the Skullreapers to another 30 Bloodletters you'd be able to fit in another Slaughterpriest aswell, which I think might be more powerful here. As is, I do think it's also powerful. The mix of models should be a really nice way to spend your time.
I don't think another Bloodthirster would be a better choice but as Retro said you can also consider a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, magnetizing his arms is ideal for flexability. One of the reasons as to why I'd seriously consider a second unit of Bloodletters though is because they synergize really well with the Bloodthirster. Lastly I'd also like to know which Command Traits, Artefacts and Prayers your going for. 

ok, thanks. :)

are bloodletters so good?
would Skarbrand be an option? so many questions^^

I´m not sure with the command traits, Artefacts and prayers.

command traits:
Slaughterborn (if it were the Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (to hit 4+))

Artefacts:
The Crimson Plate for Bloodsecrator
and
The Crimson Crown  for Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

Prayers:
Killing Frenzy

sorry if my english is not so good I come frome germany. :D

Yeah Bloodletters are point for point one of our best units, perhaps even the best. The prime advantage we have as Khorne players really come from our numbers and Bloodletters hit all the things we might want out of that, in that they are easy to buff, buff themselves, have a large number of wounds/armour for cost and have the potential to bring down massive numbers of Mortal Wounds.

I think the abilities chosen are allright! One of the Command Traits I love on any Bloodthirster though remains Immense Power. 6+ attacks with D3+1 damage potential is the type of heavy hitting we don't have a lot of in our faction and it certainly matters. In addition I think The Crimson Crown is fantastic if you thake enough Daemon units, which you have done here aswell. 

Skarbrand to me is a real option, 400 points is a lot however and as with all Bloodthirsters they are not too hard to kill. A 4+ save only gets you so far, most bigger monsters have 16 wounds aswell. However for his cost and that of General Bloodthirsters they are often capable to make up for their cost. Meaning that in combination with other units they do get things done.

In this case, because the list is quite character heavy, I will say that I think Bronzed Flesh is the better Prayer. The difference between a 4+ and a 3+ save is large. Khorne has very little buffs that increase survivability and a lot that improve output. For me personally this means Bronzed Flesh would be the better choice. 

OK thanks,

I consider this my final list. I really like the Skullreaper models, which is why I´d rather play them instaed of the bloodletters. Does it really make such a big difference to play with the bloodletters, or are the Skullreapers (almost) as powerfull?

Leaders:
1x Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (General) 260p (Crimson Crown)
1x Bloodsecrator 120p (The Crimson Plate)
1x Bloodstoker 80p
2x Slaughterpriest 200p (1xBronzed Flesh, 1xKilling Frenzy)

Battlelines:
30x Bloodletters 270p
10x Bloodwarriors 200p
20x Bloodreavers 140p

Units:
10x Skullreaper 360p
5x Wrathmongers 180p

Battalion:
Gore Pilgrims 180p

or is this list, similar to retros idea, better?
Because I prefer single stronger models over many small units (40 Bloodrevers^^)

Leaders:
1x Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (General) 330p (Crimson Crown)
1x Bloodsecrator 120p (The Crimson Plate)
1x Bloodstoker 80p
3x Slaughterpriest 300p (2xBronzed Flesh, 1xKilling Frenzy)

Battlelines:
30x Bloodletters 270p
10x Bloodwarriors 200p
20x Bloodreavers 140p

Units:
5x Skullreaper 180p
5x Wrathmongers 180p

Battalion:
Gore Pilgrims 180p

=1980p

I like both proposed lists. If you like the look of the Skullreapers, most certainly follow the path of the Skullreaper deathstar :) . In my opinion they will preform well. They become an absolute capital D Deathstar when you 'merge' them with the Wrathmongers. Making sure opponents can't reach the Wrathmongers 3" bubble because Skullreapers are in front of it and thus also have an awnser against Monsters trying to hunt them down due to Wrathmongers being near.

As a result I actually prefer the first list! There is just one suggestion from me left, pick the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury! The reason why I prefer him has to do with the Hero sniping, which has become ever so relevant in this new meta against Monster Generals and the like. 
The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is great but I can only say this within the same breath of lists who run 60+ Bloodletters/two Bloodletter bombs. The simple reason for this is that the Bloodthirster needs his window to shine and that window is much smaller if he only can buff a single Bloodletter unit throughout the game.

With the first list I actually think the The Brazen Rune is the better choice for the Bloodsecrator. He will be way back, likely outside of LoS for ranged attacks and generally speaking it's not the few attacks of Rend that will thuck him in. In my experience Mortal wounds (from also for example Magical attacks) are much more of an issue. As a result The Brazen Rune offers him two choices, have that 2++ against Magical damage (often also Mortal wound damage) or Kamikaze to ensure a specific game changing spell isn't cast. The option you have then is also really nice. Protect the Bloodsecrator with Bronzed Flesh or spice the Skullreaper Deathstar up with Bronzed Flesh.
I believe The Brazen Rune to be one of our best, if not the best defensive Artefacts. There are Allegiances who have Artefacts that do either but most certainly not both ;) 

So enjoy your Skullreaper Deathstar, I'd be confident with it, even moreso because you also have Bloodletters, Blood Warriors and a Bloodthirster for your opponent to worry about. In the case of the Bloodthirster I'd also give him the Immense Strength Command Trait so he will make a massive difference in melee. Cheers! This looks like a great hobby project which I'll likely persue eventually aswell. A mix of everything whilst keeping it powerful.

Archived