Help: Flesh Eater Court -Skin

Spiny Norman

Hi guys,

I'm reaching out for a helping hand of those experienced painters. I just started a new FEC army and painted my first load of Crypt Ghouls. I want to follow that pale GW given color scheme, but I wasn't too happy about the results I got.

First I tried the 'How to paint FEC'- Video of Duncan on Youtube. But my results looked hideous.

I modified it a bit and my Scheme for the skin is now:

Basecoat: Rakarth Flesh

All around Layer: Pallid Wych Flesh

Wash everything: Seraphim Sepia

Layer: Pallid Wych Flesh (leaving the recesses out)

Highlight: White Scar

It comes out okay, but I'm not overwhelmingly pleased. Maybe my technique is not good enough, but it seems so unclean. I'm an 'okay' Painter, not a pro. An enthusiastic Hobby painter would describe my skills properly. Especially the 2nd Layer with PWF leaving the recesses out is causing me problems. The recesses are just so small on the Ghouls and it seems that I either leave too much out or I layer too much.

I would be thankful for any tips or experiences you could share with me.

Pop a picture up and we can point you in the right direction :)  I often find that using neat washes can result in a messy finish so will apply two washes but thinned down with Lahmian Medium.  This just gives you a bit more control over where you're applying it and I feel a smoother finish.

I am a big fan of Rakarth Flesh and like to let it take the stage instead of PWF.  For my FEC's I base with Rakarth Flesh, wash then reapply the Rakarth Flesh over most of the mini leaving the recesses. I find this gives a cleaner base as PWF tends to be too chalky for my tastes.  Then hit the high points with a 1-1 mix of Rakarth Flesh and PWF, leaving PWF alone for only the last edge highlight.  This comes out pretty clean for me.

Archived