The Church of Contagion: My dip in the Pestilens Pool ( I WIN!!!! 11/26))

HorseOnABeachBall

1 hour ago, Uveron said:

Sounds Great! 

Have you used the Plaugeclaw catapults? It looks like one of the common theams is people getting away from your army. Some range could be useful! 

Thanks! 

Yeah, I've used variations of 2-3 plagueclaws. They're just so many points. In most of my games with them the common post game sentiment was " wish I had more plague monks instead ". What're your experiences with them?

26 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Well done! Great to read how you keep tweaking your lists until you manage to grab some wins! Pestilence seem to be a very tricky faction to play, so good on you! 

Thanks a million. It's been a long bitter road :) . 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Yeah, I've used variations of 2-3 plagueclaws. They're just so many points. In most of my games with them the common post game sentiment was " wish I had more plague monks instead ". What're your experiences with them?

I have only fought against them! (Or had them on my side in team games). 

I have seen them be a powerhouse of the Lists, but I think he runs the battalion of 3 of them.. And no where as near as many monks as you. 

But my experience is that the focus fire of them snips out important buffing units, or breaks up the mobs.. Takeing out the General turn one is a common theme. 

2 minutes ago, Uveron said:

I have only fought against them! (Or had them on my side in team games). 

I have seen them be a powerhouse of the Lists, but I think he runs the battalion of 3 of them.. And no where as near as many monks as you. 

So when they're on fire , they're downright sinful. Causing 11 wounds from a single shot is a joyous thing! Unfortunately 20 plague monks seem to be a more reliable point sink (in a matched play setting ).

Right now I'm currently trying to wrap my head around Plague Censors and where they could fit in the Onion formation (thank you Mayple !). Considering dropping the Corruptor for 3-4 units of censors as a counter charging element or sitting exactly 3 inches behind the front line. Thoughts ?

4 minutes ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

So when they're on fire , they're downright sinful. Causing 11 wounds from a single shot is a joyous thing! Unfortunately 20 plague monks seem to be a more reliable point sink (in a matched play setting ).

Right now I'm currently trying to wrap my head around Plague Censors and where they could fit in the Onion formation (thank you Mayple !). Considering dropping the Corruptor for 3-4 units of censors as a counter charging element or sitting exactly 3 inches behind the front line. Thoughts ?

OK that makes sense! 

As for the Corrupter, I think he is a good unit, you talked about how he had presence on the table and could move around. That shouldn't be under estimated. 

Though maybe some allies would be a good call? A unit of Warplock Jezzails and a Poisoned Wind Mortar Team does what the Catapults want todo but cheaper; An Assassin, and a warp-Grinder team allows for some misdirection; maybe just some Nurgle Deamons (you can get them?) some Beasts of Nurgle could be very fun for counter charging fun. 

8 minutes ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Risky risky! I like it. The biggest issue in that trade is that the corruptor is both reliable, and distracting. Trading that for the super situational mortal wound output (that an arcane bolt could match, if the corruptor has no good targets for his own spell) is a bit iffy.

If you can make the trade work elsewhere though, that could definitely be worth your while. Seeing as how often, and reliably I can get my stormvermin into combat as a second line hugging a thin line of clanrats, you could definitely pull that off too.

On the flipside, the plague censers push towards a moshpit engagement, which might run counter to your intended 'spread out and take advantage of the board' approach. Plague censers are the most happy next to a furnace and a bunch of monks in a big, long, drawn-out engagement against as many enemy units as possible that doesn't break them outright. A suicidal battle of attrition, sorta.

You could make that your center line. If the censers work close with the furnace, the mortal output is noteworthy.

So.. flank - moshpit - flank. 

Plague censers are a threat.  You get them in and mess with the combat selection order of the opponent.  

Also, forcing the opponent to split attacks can lead to an advantage.  It's very hard to split attacks properly against three units for instance.

15 attacks at rend -1 rerolling hits is great for 60 points!  Especially if you've got wither stacks already.

They are tricksy rats.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Alright fellas , just took part in a 1k tournament. Went 2-1! Could have easily gone 3-0. Things are starting to kick into gear. Battle reports to come.

Cant wait to add to the hordes with you.  I've got my first unit of ten monks done, one priest, and a mortar team.

I've been following this thread, like reading your thoughts/reports.

I'm a Skaven player since 4th ed and with the advent of AOS, I've only played pure Pestilens twice. 

First game was a bit meh, but I just did things all wrong.
Played Second game on the weekend and team Pestilens surprised me with the amount of damage they were doing to heavily armoured Khorne Juggernauts/Lord on Jugg/Flesh Hounds and Gore Gruntas (team game).

They dished out the hurt after getting charges off and weren't overly buffed either. I took all Books of Woe, rather than Plague scrolls for the Bringers, so no debuffs before I hit. Do you guys play multiple bringers per unit? or just 1?

Also only got off 1x Rabid fever on 1 unit.

I played 1200pts for my force :
1x Furnace
1x Plague Priest (Rot'n'Ruin, Liber)
5 units of 20x monks (foetid blades)
3 units of 10x monks (foetid blades)

Didnt take censers, prefer the basic overall output of the monk over a PCB.
I dont rate the Fumes as useful, too situational as they are unlikely to last until their own hero phase to use them. I always thought this should have been a CC rule rather than hero phase.

I had 3x units of 20x monks plus my furnace crash into a battle line of the above mentioned khorne/gore grunt units. The Furnace landed the great censer on the lord who was flanked by 2 units of 3x Juggers, didnt wound lord but did 6mw and 2mw on each unit of juggers. The plague priest on furnace did 2w to the lord. 3x monk units did 7-8w on the Gruntas (maybe 8-9 monks in btb) and did another 10-12 on the 2 units of juggers, didnt have the best frontages either but we were fighting over objectives in duality of death, and so it was always going to get messy.

I came out of it with more respect for Team Pestilens and the bread n butter damage they are capable of.

Archived