Forming a new army

Jester

Hello people,

I am fairly new to AoS. Bought, built and painted my first army in the previous months. This is a FEC army which consists out of 80 Crypt Ghouls, 6 Crypt Horrors, 6 Crypt Flayers, 1 GKonTG, 1 Ghoul King, 1 Necromancer, 6 Crypt Ghast Courtiers, 2 Mournghuls and 1 Nagash. I bought all this purely based on the rule of cool. I liked the miniatures and they kind of fit together, they let me play open play matches and I have a lot of fun with them. 

Now that I want to start a new army, I want to put in some more thought. I want an army that has good synergy and hits hard and plays differently from my FEC rush army. I have bought the GHB17 but would like to see what you guys think is a hard hitting and synergised army. Hope you guys can help a beginner out and give me some pointers. 

Thanks in advance :)

If all you want is "Different from FEC, good synergy, and hits hard" then you have SOOO many options. Stormcast, Disciples of Tzeentch,  Beastclaw Raiders, Freeguild, Sylvaneth, etc.

A few more questions to narrow it down:

You still should do models you like: Rule of Cool is great because game rules can change. Are there any models or armies you like the look of?

What KIND of army do you want? FEC has little army and is kinda swarmy. Do you want to go hardcore elite? Magic heavy? Lots of shooting?

Are you ok with factions with only a few options, or do you want a lot of variety?

The only thing I can say for certain would be to try out another Grand Alliance, and a mix army of that Grand Alliance could be an option to, give you a LOT of variety and mix and match synergies as you want. The ORDER subforum here has a pinned thread listing all the abilities that affect ALL Order units, so you can have synergies across an entire Grand Alliance!

10 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

If all you want is "Different from FEC, good synergy, and hits hard" then you have SOOO many options. Stormcast, Disciples of Tzeentch,  Beastclaw Raiders, Freeguild, Sylvaneth, etc.

A few more questions to narrow it down:

You still should do models you like: Rule of Cool is great because game rules can change. Are there any models or armies you like the look of?

What KIND of army do you want? FEC has little army and is kinda swarmy. Do you want to go hardcore elite? Magic heavy? Lots of shooting?

Are you ok with factions with only a few options, or do you want a lot of variety?

The only thing I can say for certain would be to try out another Grand Alliance, and a mix army of that Grand Alliance could be an option to, give you a LOT of variety and mix and match synergies as you want. The ORDER subforum here has a pinned thread listing all the abilities that affect ALL Order units, so you can have synergies across an entire Grand Alliance!

I am not into humans, I like to go crazy with colours. I guess an army with just bigger models would be cool (trying to avoid the drag of painting 80+ small models again) 

Indeed, no swarm army  

For the rest I dont have any preferences to be honest. 

Well, Tzeentch and Slaanesh has some crazy colors that fit with them, and if you care, Daemons can be used in Warhammer 40k if you ever care to try THAT out.

Would Stormcast Eternals be humans to you? They're elite, have a LOT of synergy and a LOT of variety. Also, easy to collect with two "starter sets" to their name.

Beastclaw Raiders are perhaps the most elite army in the game, able to field just a few massive behemoths and nothing else.

Tzeentch do look like an army I can go crazy with colour wise, but I haven't got a clue what units are strong or fit together nicely. I should probably head into their subforum. 

Beastclaw raiders look sick! But I am probably too limited there colourwise?

Any other suggestions? I like this brainstorming :)

Wow, how did I forget Seraphon? lol

As for limited in colors for Beastclaw? The Mortal Realms are crazy, make some vibrant green Beastclaw who got to far into the realm of life. Or bright and crazy metals all over from the Realm of Metal. Don't let GW's standards distract from the crazy potential.

As for strategies, most of thr respective subforums have Let's Chat posts on all the major factions. Check there.

4 hours ago, Jester said:

But I am probably too limited there colourwise?

It's your miniatures and so nothing stops you from painting as you like. Moreover, in a high fantasy setting like AoS nothing ever can stop you as everything in such a universe can exist. And, actually:

1 hour ago, flamingwalnut said:

The Mortal Realms are crazy, make some vibrant green Beastclaw who got to far into the realm of life. Or bright and crazy metals all over from the Realm of Metal.

I would think this is kind of obvious, but apart from that there are viridian orges in Ghyran (Quest for Ghal Maraz book, first description of Torglug the Despised) and  there are ogres in Chamon too, obviously more suited to this realm by their specific looks,

Thank you all for your input so far! Went to my local store today and didnt buy a new army just yet. Still cant make up my mind...

Will invest some more time in reading through the different threads on this site. If anyone has any suggestions, please do post them! The more the merrier!

Nobody can make this choice instead of you. You need to know what you prefer. But you can also act as I do, for instance - collect different factions, just one by one. I am collecting practically simultaneously the undead (different kinds of them under the lead by my vampire), the dispossessed and the elves (also different kinds of). Just because I like several races and factions, different miniatures and can paint them in such an order that you don't get bored or tired of with one type or kind of them. You can choose just by buying several boxes and as you will be building and painting them you  will surely understand what you like more. If not them all at once.

Archived