You & Your Changehost

Josh

Hello! New to the army & love the look of this battalion. I thought this would be a good place to talk about, how you have used this battalion to your advantage, tricks you have discovered, stories where it worked better than you thought, potentially things you thought it would do & needed to make changes due to it not preforming etc.

I personally see how you can swap out the changeling once discovered to something annoying the enemy needs to deal with, getting characters and heros out of trouble potentially & plonking scoring units on objectives :)

From someone on this forum, @Nico maybe? 

"You can swap two units of Pinks and thereby deploy both units into parallel lines 10" long pointing at the enemy. This puts both units on range to cast spells. You can then swap the LoC for the end model of one of the lines for another two spells, charge and melee." The latter part is however not legal anymore since you can't swap a unit twice even though it is comprised in a different pair. You can still switch 1 unit of pinks with LoC to do first turn charge though.

Now you pretty much need the Changeling to make the list efficient. The standard move is to swap the LoC for the Changeling after he casts his spell and then charge in with Phantasmal Weapons and Daemonspark. 

You can summon a Balewind with the Changeling then he can lob either Gateway or Infernal Flames, then you can swap a Herald onto the Balewind who can chain cast 3 offensive spells (Pink Fire, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Arcane Bolt for example) if he keeps rolling 9s. 

The Pinks can swap forward as the other swap which gives you Bolt of Tzeentch and Treason of Tzeentch to complete the magical barrage.

Alternatively you could swap in Pinks near the Changeling and put the Pinks into combat with the enemy hammer units. They die and form Blues which delays the enemy a turn.

6 hours ago, Nico said:

Now you pretty much need the Changeling to make the list efficient. The standard move is to swap the LoC for the Changeling after he casts his spell and then charge in with Phantasmal Weapons and Daemonspark. 

You can summon a Balewind with the Changeling then he can lob either Gateway or Infernal Flames, then you can swap a Herald onto the Balewind who can chain cast 3 offensive spells (Pink Fire, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Arcane Bolt for example) if he keeps rolling 9s. 

The Pinks can swap forward as the other swap which gives you Bolt of Tzeentch and Treason of Tzeentch to complete the magical barrage.

Alternatively you could swap in Pinks near the Changeling and put the Pinks into combat with the enemy hammer units. They die and form Blues which delays the enemy a turn.

Thanks for the reply @Nico ! I was under the impression that swapping got FAQ'd to say that one a 'pair' of units have engaged in a swap they can't pair up with another unit or am I reading it horribly wrong? e.g;   A & B swap but then A cant swap with C because A is paired with B? (i hope this makes sense)

awesome! just wanted to make sure I was on the same page there ^^

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

Yes that's right. So typical swaps are the two units of Pinks and the LoC for the Changeling (wholly different pairs) or LoC for Changeling and Herald for Changeling.

With the changes to the text of the Changehost in the FAQ I believe you can no longer swap models on and off a Balewind anymore. It now indicates that swapping a model is actually moving it.  And a wizard on top of a Balewind cannot move. 

Also, I don't think you can chain 3 spells from a herald. Rolling a 9 to cast allows you to cast "one" extra spell. I don't believe rolling a 9 or more on the second spell triggers it again. 

On 13/09/2017 at 5:22 PM, Nico said:

10 hours ago, Pete_P said:

With the changes to the text of the Changehost in the FAQ I believe you can no longer swap models on and off a Balewind anymore. It now indicates that swapping a model is actually moving it.  And a wizard on top of a Balewind cannot move. 

Also, I don't think you can chain 3 spells from a herald. Rolling a 9 to cast allows you to cast "one" extra spell. I don't believe rolling a 9 or more on the second spell triggers it again. 

I don't think it counts as a move, it is referred to as a swap, and "move this way" which is kind of specific. No mention of "move as it it were in the movement phase". Also, if I don't remember incorrectly, it is FAQed that MONSTERS cannot be moved onto Balewinds, indicating that other models can be! However, Changehost's swapping is now specified to "beginning of phase" - this would limit possibility to cast Balewind, swap and cast again shenanigans! 

10 hours ago, Pete_P said:

Well, it does say it applies to "a casting roll" which kind of indicates it being a general ability applied to all casting rolls. And, because of rule of 1 it is not THAT powerful. But sure, I can see any interpretation being true. E.g. Compare to rule of 1s extra attacks not being able to generate extra attacks by themselves etc. 

Wow - good spot - I had missed the start of the hero phase wording. That's really irritating. No more Balewind swapping at all (unless you do it over two turns). Means you have to make sure buff givers are close enough to the unit being swapped. Basically means that Changehost is limited to swapping the Pinks forward to zap and then throwing in the LoC (or another unit of Pinks if you want to chaff them up.

The Balewind warscroll states that a wizard on top of it cannot move. 

The new text for Changehost says that if you swap you "move this way". So the model is moving.  

I think it's pretty clear that a wizard cannot be swapped off of a Balewind once they are on it because it means they are moving and breaking the rules of "Held Aloft"

5 hours ago, misthv said:

I don't think it counts as a move, it is referred to as a swap, and "move this way" which is kind of specific. No mention of "move as it it were in the movement phase". Also, if I don't remember incorrectly, it is FAQed that MONSTERS cannot be moved onto Balewinds, indicating that other models can be! However, Changehost's swapping is now specified to "beginning of phase" - this would limit possibility to cast Balewind, swap and cast again shenanigans! 

IMG_6339.PNG

Archived