The Virulent Horde (Exclusive Boxset Warscroll Formation)

James McPherson

This is the exclusive formation from "The Virulent Horde" box set. Is it going to be useable with SCGT or Clash Comp? It doesn't show up on scrollbuilder.com and I have seen it missed off other places too, (Bravery One podcast for instance) . Do I need to contact the comp systems admin to get it included? Seems weird its been missed off.

Scrollbuilder is out of date for SCGT. Check the official spreadsheet to see if it is there. Is it the Virulent Procession? If so, 3 pools under SGCT.

You'll also need the comp system to confirm its interpretation of the formation. As it is a mess.

ABILITIES
Foetid Prayers
In the hero phase, the Plague Furnace and the Plague Priest of the Virulent Horde can pray for a deadly contagion to infect the weapons and claws of their minions instead of one of their normal Noxious or Pestilent Prayers. If you wish for them to do so, roll a dice; if the result is 3 or higher the prayer is answered, and its effect takes place. If the result is 1 the model utters an incorrect phrase and suffers a mortal wound.

Deadly Contagion
The filth encrusting the teeth and blades of the Virulent Horde begins to glow a sickly green as a vile enchantment takes root. Until your next Hero phase, if the wound roll for an attack made by a model from the Virulent Horde is a 6 or more, and it is within 13” of the caster when the attack is made; the target immediately suffers a mortal wound. Do not make a save roll for the attack.

18 hours ago, James McPherson said:

Its pretty cool though, when used in collab with a Contagion Banner, and some other synergy/buffs, makes for a lot of mortal wounds being dished out. This is easily the best Pestilens Formation IMO

It'd be better if the wording wasn't ******. It can only be played RAI (RAW breaks). And even then, it nerfs the Plague Catapult or any weapon that is multi-damage.

Sorry I'm not sure I understand, RAI? RAW? I'm no rules expert as you may be able to tell :D Yeah its a bit vague, ie is the mortal wound caused in addition to your other wound roll or does it just stop there with a mortal wound

Seems weird it would nerf the Plagueclaw, although to be honest I'd probably set that up outside of the bubble anyway.

RAI - Rule as intended

RAW - Rule as written

Abbreviations I've come across before. 

RAW you can only cause one wound on a 6. But why do you not make a save roll for the attack? What save roll against mortal wounds? Or is this referring to the following saving throw should you infer that the '6' causes a bonus wound but then continues? Is the rend therefore infinite? Etc?

The correct - I presume - wording already exists for other units i.e. Plague Drones. Bonus mortal wound on a wound roll of 6. Here they've intentionally taken that wording and then confused it. No idea who proofread this one.

But yes, RAI, it would be a much needed boost for Pestilens who don't perform too well at the moment.

You're right that it's badly worded.

The second paragraph (Deadly Contagion) is not a passive ability of the formation, it's a substitute "spell" for the Plague Priest and the Plague Furnace. I take it that either of them can cast it instead of their normal ability.

You would need to keep the Catapult away.

It's instead of the normal damage (since there's no wording saying that it's in addition to the normal damage, cf. Necropolis Knights).

21 hours ago, James McPherson said:

Will make some noise & update thread on progress

Problem you might have at the moment is with the General's Handbook about to hit the streets, they may be holding off any updates. I know the SCGT guys want to use it for next year with some minor comp if they spot anything over the top. No idea what Mo wants to do, especially as he has his clash event in October using his pool system (he's either got to update or do something else)

To add to that, if formations have no cost in the General's Handbook this formation is an auto-take for Pestilens.

Please tell me that this isn't on the cards/rumoured.

Some of the formations are very valuable, e.g. Spider filth, Giants Filth, Brotherhood of the Great Derps.

33 minutes ago, Nico said:

That's actually a pretty powerful formation. Especially as the Monks have 3 attacks each.

3 attacks on the charge or 4 attacks with the Vermin Lords command ability. you can get a +1 to wound modifier as well with another buff , then with the contagion banner, you can roll an additional dice each time you roll a 5+ to wound, and if it is another 6 then causes another mortal wound.

35 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Problem you might have at the moment is with the General's Handbook about to hit the streets, they may be holding off any updates. I know the SCGT guys want to use it for next year with some minor comp if they spot anything over the top. No idea what Mo wants to do, especially as he has his clash event in October using his pool system (he's either got to update or do something else)

Ah good point, well I messaged Mo and added it to his thread on the WH Forum, and messaged Dan Heelan about it too and also mentioned it to Rufio who is going to add it to his bravery one podcast. Hopefully some good will come of it. I'm going to be using it a lot in my future games anyway. Hopefully some Pestilens players can find it here on this thread.

3 attacks on the charge or 4 attacks with the Vermin Lords command ability. you can get a +1 to wound modifier as well with another buff , then with the contagion banner, you can roll an additional dice each time you roll a 5+ to wound, and if it is another 6 then causes another mortal wound.

3 attacks from the blade - plus the staff too. This means 4+2 = 6 attacks with the Verminlord's command ability.

The +1 to wound buff is from the Plague Priest - but it is cast on the target enemy unit.

UPDATE *** I tweeted Mo & Dan, posted to Mo's Warhammer.org forum dev thread, mailed Dan via his heelenhammer web alias , and on the warhammer.org forum, I even started a thread on the warhammer forum devoted to it, haven't heard back from anyone or got any kind of response. Not sure why the silence but don't really have time to chase it up so will leave it for now.

Just saw SCGT V2.2 , a new update and still no inclusion. Hopefully one day they will include it and hoping its in the Generals Handbook when it comes out soon. For now I'm just going to cost it myself at between 5-10pts scgt, depending on how it goes in a few games.

Archived