Free People Allies

Paul Conti

So what is everyone thinking of running for allies with Free People?

There's a serious lack of heroes in the Free People, so I feel like that's an area that could use some supplementing. 

Do you all think that the Hurricanum is too expensive and takes up too many of our allies points now?

7 hours ago, Paul Conti said:

So what is everyone thinking of running for allies with Free People?

Depending on the playing style, I would either;

- Luminark + Battlemage (Lifesurge) for the ward save, healing benefits, and general magic

- 2x Rocket Battery for dishing out pain

- Prosecutors to support General on Griffon and add speed

2 battlemages on foot is my go to. 

I find having mages in my front lines is key for that early dispel. If they get focused down with range? Well I have two, and it means my troops can shoot back.

I have been looking at artillery, but it would depend on the army I am fighting. I think artillery is getting weaker as teleporting options increase.

Stormcast could be nice for more gap filling. They have brutal cav options and paladins for mortal wounds are great, if slow.

I am excited to try all the options I can.  I have only played once, but the wizards felt good and did their jobs.

At the moment I'm using 2 Cannons and a Gryph Hound.

That being said, I suspect without the Engineer that the Hellstorms end up being better, as they can sit safely behind LOS blocking terrain and have potential to cause more damage. Originally I took the Cannons because I intended to have a Gunmaster in the army, but with the allies restrictions I can't quite fit it all in.

I get the feeling the Hurricanum will be more useful in more mobile Free Peoples armies. Like where you want to support more aggressive units such as Demigryphs, Generals on Griffon, Greatswords, etc where you want to be charging, and hence can't use Hold the Line on them. Likewise on turns where you guns have to move forward to get in range, Handgunners and Outriders both lose their +1 to hit if they don't stand still. It still provides mortal wounds via it's ability and some through magic also. The problem will likely come being the only mage in the force. You now have the tough call as to whether you cast Mystic Shield or Comet of Cassandora, both good spells but you'll only be able to cast one.

Due to this, the Luminark + Battlemage may be the goto. Shame the Beam is a one shot cannon (Think the Storm of Shemtek is better even if a bit random), but you get more magical flexibility due to the ability to squeeze in another Battlemage. Now you can cast both important spells without worrying too much.

Another alternative may be triple mage. Quadruple I think will be 1 too many, especially early game when you're outside 18". But 3 I think could potentially be useful. There are a lot of great little spells in the Battlemages. You can probably go two 'defensive' spells, and one offensive (So the offensive one is just casting mystic shield early game). Shame they lost the ability to be mounted on a Horse, but what can ya do.

I'm not really sure about the Devoted. If Flagellant bombs were a thing, I think they'd be known by now. As it stands, they'll probably be shot down before they get close to combat, but who knows?

That being said, the Excelsior Warpriest is a cheap little unbinder that can potentially heal our multi-wound models such as Demigryphs and Generals on Griffon. The Witch Hunter is also quite cheap if you need to squeeze in an extra hero. You can for example, fit in a Luminark, Battlemage and Witch Hunter all into your allies slot to give you 3 extra heroes. I know hero count is something I need to be careful of, as I basically only have 3 in my current force.

Lastly Stormcast. I get the feeling anything fast from this category will fit right in. The Vanguard Chamber I think is right at home, as well as Prosecutors and Dracoth Cavalry. Potentially you can slot in something slower as well (like Paladins) if you enable them with a Vexillor (Which basically turns them from a slow unit, into a mobile unit once per game).

Archived