Colour choice advice!

I've been very inactive here over the past few weeks due to some other commitments taking up all of my free time lately, but this will only be another couple of weeks.

So my summer project is the painting of all my ironjawz stuff. I've decided on the orange scheme from the painting guide, but I'm really stuck on how to paint up my mawcrusha.

I've been doing some reading on basic colour theory, and according to that if I wanted an opposite contrast I would need to paint a pale blue, but I really am not keen on that.

I'm thinking of going with the green of gordrakks crusha from the grand alliance book, but I think if I put hours and hours into painting it and someone says "hurrdurr it looks like a cabbage" I'm going to be a little irritated.

I am by no means a great painter, but I want some advice on what colour to paint my "grumpy dragon" that will work well with the Orange of the armour of the rest of my ironjawz

Cheers!

How about going similar to the magmadroths, and have them predominantly black with orange/red showing through? Or black with flesh tone wing membranes? It would make the details like the armour on the mawkrusha, and the orruk atop it, stand out more.

46 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

How about going similar to the magmadroths, and have them predominantly black with orange/red showing through? Or black with flesh tone wing membranes? It would make the details like the armour on the mawkrusha, and the orruk atop it, stand out more.

I had never considered black, this is actually a really nice idea!

I could do orange/red striping around the spines, which I think would look cool

The other option is if not keen on the pale blue a blue grey could work really well, liking at colors like the fang, fenrisran grey and ulthan grey.

Could be a nice worn leathery look that would help the Orange really pop.

You'd also get a very similar effect with adjacent colors so purple and green will also give the model nice contrasts.

A fairly neutral coloured beast might work really well.  I used orange on my 8th Ed O+G army and it went really well with the natural coloured browns of my boars and wolves.  I also used a sickly pale yellowy green on my Wyvren which worked, but there was only a little bit of orange on that model.  

A pale sandy brown natural lizard like colour scheme might work quite well, or even a darker brown.  This sort of muted scheme for the beast would allow the brightly coloured armour of the rider to really pop.

Whatever you choose to do I'm looking forward to seeing more different paint schemes on this awesome grumpy dragon.

On 5/29/2016 at 8:37 PM, cb_rex said:

A fairly neutral coloured beast might work really well.  I used orange on my 8th Ed O+G army and it went really well with the natural coloured browns of my boars and wolves.  I also used a sickly pale yellowy green on my Wyvren which worked, but there was only a little bit of orange on that model.  

A pale sandy brown natural lizard like colour scheme might work quite well, or even a darker brown.  This sort of muted scheme for the beast would allow the brightly coloured armour of the rider to really pop.

Whatever you choose to do I'm looking forward to seeing more different paint schemes on this awesome grumpy dragon.

Sounds like more awesome ideas! can you give me any real world examples of the sandy colour you are talking about?

I'm thinking Bearded Dragons, they are pale brown horny things and Komodo dragons which are darker and sometimes a bit more colourful.

The Bearded Dragon was the one I was thinking of mainly, you could use a fairly pale colour with some sepia in the recesses and also some browny grey contrasting colours, you could even use a feint pink tinge on the wings.

Archived