Buying FEC for Skirmish

Is there a Skirmish only subforum? Sometimes I'm not sure where to put Skirmish threads...here? In the grand alliance sub folder? Shadespire folder? The Narrative one?

Anyway...

Back in my Mordheim days, I ran a Strigoi themed VC warband and am intrigued to renew the saga of the Crypt King Maur-og in AoS. I understand FEC may not be the strongest warband choice and I'm cool with that, but I have questions regarding buying the Start Collecting AoS set (14 models) or that 23 model warband set.

I understand the warband box has bits to run the Crypt horrors as flayers or other flavours. Does the Start Collecting box also have those options or are they strictly crypt horrors only? Does the Start Collecting set have a ghoul king I can divorce from that dragon thing? It appears so in the photo, but I must be missing it in the listing.

Also, I know the skeletal dragon creature can't be used in Skirmish, so am planning on making it an interactive terrain feature. A pile of bones from a long dead creature left on the battlefield. Either with the ability to Crumble or maybe house a small tribe of grot scuttlings that will attack nearby models. Either way, the SC (if it has a ghoul king) would get me 14 models. Would that be enough for small skirmish campaigns or do I need the 23 model warband set....that doesn't have a ghoul king?

Thanks!

It's a bit of a mystery where Skirmish stuff goes. I suggest the Grand Alliance sub-faction forums (Basically, Skirmish being just another way to play Age of Sigmar). I reckon Shadespire will be more for that game once it launches.

To the model side of things.

So the Crypt Horror set, no matter where you source it from, will contain the exact same parts. So no worries if you buy the Start Collecting Set or the Skrmish Set. The kit can make Crypt Horrors, Crypt Flayers and the 2 Courtiers for those as well.

Overall, I think it depends what you're after. The start collecting set has a Terrorgheist, which you can't use in Skirmish, but you'll surely want one if you ever build your army larger. It's also the only current way to the Abhorrant Ghoul King on foot.

On the other hand, the Skirmish set will net you more Ghouls. So if you're in it just for Skirmish, you might consider buying that and then getting a Ghoul King/another Crypt Horror set from somewhere.

Overall, if you go for the Start Collecting set, you can make a warband as follows:
Abhorrant Ghoul King

Crypt Haunter

Crypt Infernal

Crypt Horror/Flayer

Crypt Ghast

9 Crypt Ghouls

So in total, that warband would come to 77 renown which is a pretty decent size. Generally you want the Ghoul King as well as he gives you bonuses to some of your other units and is the only caster in the warband as well. So personally I think the Start Collecting set is a better deal, especially if you intend to use the Terrogheist at some point.

I’ve got the start collecting set and to answer two of your questions, yes, the horrors have the full sprue and can be built as any of the options (I built vargheists), and yes, the ghoul king can be built and based separately from the terrorgheist (I built the vampire lord on zombie dragon and built the ghoul king separately).

I think it probably would be big enough for a small campaign, I’ve used the spare crypt ghouls and ghoul king as my ‘house’ warband for friends to use when they come over to play skirmish. I suppose if you built a variety of crypt horror/flayer options you’d have a fairly well rounded warband, but I’ve not really used it much myself so can’t be sure.

Mr. White, for starting a campaign, the book recommended warbands of 25 renown. I don't know how much renown will be available in your campaign, but with 25 points and pure FEC, there's only one warband possible:

Crypt Ghast Courtier

4 Crypt Ghouls (prefereably including a Crypt Ghast leader).

And these you can build from any box with Crypt Ghouls, maybe with some additional bits for making your Courtier look cool.

I you build the models worth most renown, I think the warband from the Start Collecting box actually goes up to 121 renown, and the warband from Nightfeast Hunters goes up to 117. Both numbers are probably enough for the whole campaign.

Also, you can find the photos of Ghoul King on foot here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Flesh-Eater-Courts-Crypt-Terrorgheist He's easily detached from the dragon.

Archived