Leaders and Unit Options in Small Units

heywoah_twitch

Question

Hello, I'm new to Age of Sigmar (two weeks!) and I'm looking for some clarification before I glue this Mournfang Pack together.

So, from the warscroll, "The leader of this unit is a Skalg". -I'm assuming the capitalization of "Skalg" indicates that it is a new, special model type within that unit for game purposes, and also this is clearly only one guy. It doesn't say "may be a Skalg", so I assume I must designate one, although his pistol is optional (Why?)

"Models in this unit may be Horn Blowers." -Similarly, this tells me that a Horn Blower is a new model type, but being plural I can have many.

"Models from this unit may carry Raiding Banners adorned with the skull of a great beast." -So this one refers only to the item and not a model type, and also is plural. Furthermore, it continues to reference only the banners even in the rules explanation that follows, and never names a new model type, besides with the heading "Banner Bearers".

So can a Skalg also be a Horn Blower? Are these just keywords that a model can have a few of or distinct model types?

Can a Horn Blower hold a Raiding Banner? For that matter must an ogor with a Raiding Banner use a one handed weapon? I'd rather use Gargant Hackers, but making the model hold both would look silly. Can I put a horn on a Gargant Hacker's belt? I'm not allowed to forego a Skalg, but I can choose not to take his pistol; does this open up a 'slot' for a banner?

Thanks, I know these are basic questions, but my friends were having trouble answering them definitively (mostly because in older editions dudes could only have one thing, but in AoS they didn't see why you couldn't gear up). Normally I'd just do one option per guy to be safe, but I don't have 10 or 20 models per unit to work with like my friends' skaven, orcs, and stormcast - I only have 2, or maybe 4 at most!

3 answers to this question

A leader can't be a musician as they are separate model types. Leaders often have access to other equipment, but it's not always compulsory.

FAQ, under "warscrolls & warscroll battalions" - Carrying a banner or instrument doesn't affect any equipment you carry - you can carry a banner and still use a "two-handed" weapon (two-handed isn't a concept in the rules any more, so it's really only an issue for visuals).

I think it's been clarified elsewhere, but you aren't limited to a single musician, or a single banner, and I think in theory any model can carry a banner.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You aren't limited in the rules to only have 1 musician or 1 banner and can often take different banner rules (Khorne have an idol and a banner). As a rule of thumb though it is recommended you don't have more than 1 of each type for 10 models (normally the box size they are sold in). This was addressed with Goblin Netters when people were trying to have 20 in a unit, you are now only allowed 3 per 20 (the amount that come in the box).

Archived