adding heroes/units to other units

Kosmion

guys whats ur take on this? say you have a skaven warlord, and you add it to a unit of clanrats somehow, would it fit or work in aos? what would the benefits/drawbacks be? i know fantasy and 40k 7th had it (maybe 8th as well?) and I'm just curious if you guys think it should be added to aos?

I don't understand the question. There is currently nothing in the capacity of the rules to allow for this, so asking us "would it work" is irrelevant. It would require additional rules be drafted to account for the absolute mess of scenarios it would introduce. 

8 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I don't understand the question. There is currently nothing in the capacity of the rules to allow for this, so asking us "would it work" is irrelevant. It would require additional rules be drafted to account for the absolute mess of scenarios it would introduce. 

The question is: if aos were to introduce something like this, similar to how it was in 8th, how do you think it would play out? The additional rules required in order to prevent the introduction of a ton of wierd/broken scenarios, but instead create intresting and cool synergies/combination of units is what im asking people to come up with. 

I honestly don't think formally 'joining' a unit is needed and don't see what it would add to balance the layers of complexity it would add. Characters accompanying units informally generally works pretty well with a couple of small exceptions.

The only changes I would definitely bring in would be to address a couple of anomalies. Firstly, the rule from the new 40k that says you can't target characters below a certain number of starting wounds unless they're the closest target. That would allow leaders to hide in big units as they should be able to. Secondly, I'd allow players to make a single charge role for a unit and single character within 2" of them. No positive modifiers unless they apply to both units, negative modifiers that apply to one apply to both. That gets rid of the scenario where characters charge with their bodyguard but one or the other doesn't make it in.

Interesting question!

Some heroes do have radius abilities that benefit certain units though - for example an Ironjawz Megaboss increases the combat efficiency of any Ironjawz Brute units within 5" of him. So in essence the way they've worked it gives you more flexibility as you can have multiple units in that radius, you can keep the Megaboss out of harms way if needed, and it allows the Megaboss to have his own kick-ass weapons profile. The only negative is that possibly due to the randomness of running/charging/destruction moving your units, the Megaboss and brutes may become slightly separated - but you can always work around that. 

Also it means that it's two separate activations of combat, that is to me a benefit as it spreads the threat - do I focus the 10/15 man unit of brutes first to thin their numbers, or do I try take out the Megaboss who's improving them. In a way it adds some more tactical thinking to what appears to be a simple game at first glance.

William

My group allow heroes to be out of line of sight for the purposes of shooting if they are within or behind modes of a similar size to them. But then it depends on the model shooting. A dragon can target a hero with a breath weapon as it can see it whereas a foot slogging archer cannot.

Archived