Expanding my Slaves/Khorne army to 1500 - would love some GH17 input!

Bjornas

Hello!

I posted this in the Lets chat thread a while ago. As the title suggests, I'm planning my expansion from 1000 to 1500 points. I played a lot of WHFB and 40k back in the days but have less than a dozen games of AoS under my belt yet, so I am a bit new still. Marked in bold are the units I already own (ie. already spent too much time painting to not play with). List:

Juggernaut Lord 140

-Artifact: Gorecleaver

-Trait: Berzerker Lord

Bloodsecrator 120

Bloodstoker 80

Bloodstoker 80

10 Chaos warriors 180

-Shields, command, Mark of Khorne

10 Blood warriors 200

-2x Axes, command, Champ w/ Goreglaive

3 Bloodcrushers 160

-Glaives, full command

5 Knights 200

-Ensorcelled weapons, command, Mark of Khorne

5 Skullreapers 140

-Daemonblades, Soultearer, command

5 Skullreapers 140      

TOTAL: 1440

Basically the idea is to have some solid anvils in the form of knights, warriors and juggers, and some hammers in the form of Skullreapers and the Lord on Juggernaut which are whipped to strike even faster by the 2x Bloodstokers. I thought having two of them might be a cool idea - is it? Also, provided that double 'stokers are a good idea, any suggestions on how to use the last 60 points are much welcome, as well as how to use banners and artifacts etc most effectively in this army. 

Best regards,

Björn

I run a mixed Khorne army, utilising daemons, bloodbound and my old chaos warriors (Slaves to Darkness) so happy to share some thoughts.

Is 2 Bloodsecrators a good idea? Generally yes. You may be aware there is a big debate on whether the +1 attack buff stacks or not (I wont go into the debate but there are numerous threads on here if you want to get into the rules-lawyering) so its important to clarify with your opponents/gaming club/tournament organiser beforehand. If the attack doesnt stack there is still some benefit to having a bigger bubble of battleshock protection. This can be crucial because the bravery of bloodbound/slaves units is not that high and your generals have better things to do with their command abilities then inspiring presence.

When taking warriors I've found a slaughterpriest with the bronzed flesh prayer can be a real pain, particularly in warrior units of 20+. 3+ saves, rerolling 1's makes them very tanky. But chaos warriors are not a hammer- even with 3 attacks each, 3+ hit, 4+ wound, no rend is not that killy. Same goes for Knights, OK on the charge with glaives, although 4+ to hit really sux (making them a good candidate for a slaughter priest with the killing frenzy prayer).

Juggerlord general is a good shout, as is adding in a Bloodstoker (two might be excessive, although if the plan is for both cavalry units to be whipped on the same turn then go for it). Overall the proposed list looks good, as is Killax's suggestion of adding 10 Marauders with your remaining 60 points. Another option is to ditch the skullreapers and marauders and go with 30 Bloodletters. They can be fun although your list isn't designed to buff them as is so that might be for the expansion to 2000 points! 

On 2017-07-04 at 11:24 AM, Killax said:

Seems good to me Bjorn, you even have 60 points left for 10 Marauders, which for objective holding purposes is excellent.

Good idea, not a big fan of the models but I could use Reavers and just glue shields on them.

On 2017-07-05 at 5:46 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

I run a mixed Khorne army, utilising daemons, bloodbound and my old chaos warriors (Slaves to Darkness) so happy to share some thoughts.

Is 2 Bloodsecrators a good idea? Generally yes. You may be aware there is a big debate on whether the +1 attack buff stacks or not (I wont go into the debate but there are numerous threads on here if you want to get into the rules-lawyering) so its important to clarify with your opponents/gaming club/tournament organiser beforehand. If the attack doesnt stack there is still some benefit to having a bigger bubble of battleshock protection. This can be crucial because the bravery of bloodbound/slaves units is not that high and your generals have better things to do with their command abilities then inspiring presence.

When taking warriors I've found a slaughterpriest with the bronzed flesh prayer can be a real pain, particularly in warrior units of 20+. 3+ saves, rerolling 1's makes them very tanky. But chaos warriors are not a hammer- even with 3 attacks each, 3+ hit, 4+ wound, no rend is not that killy. Same goes for Knights, OK on the charge with glaives, although 4+ to hit really sux (making them a good candidate for a slaughter priest with the killing frenzy prayer).

Juggerlord general is a good shout, as is adding in a Bloodstoker (two might be excessive, although if the plan is for both cavalry units to be whipped on the same turn then go for it). Overall the proposed list looks good, as is Killax's suggestion of adding 10 Marauders with your remaining 60 points. Another option is to ditch the skullreapers and marauders and go with 30 Bloodletters. They can be fun although your list isn't designed to buff them as is so that might be for the expansion to 2000 points! 

Thanks for the pointers. I've stayed away from the 2x Bloodsecrator 'combo' as I noticed there was a debate going on - I personally believed that RAI they don't stack, but it seems that my local gaming group think it does. Regardless, as you point out, the immune to battleshock factor is obviously important. So I'll reconsider if double 'secrator is worth it. As for the Bloodletters, another factor for choosing the Skullreapers is to keep model count down ;) 30 red skinny lads isn't exactly on the wishlist hahaha.

Some follow-up questions:

-Are my magic weapons/artifacts good choices?

-Exactly how necessary are warscrolls? Can one survive without them? Notice I'm not really out to play competitively.

Best regards,

/Björn

Happy to help!

If you are favouring a low model count army then Skullreapers and Wrathmongers are the way to go. Reavers with shields do make perfect stand-ins for marauders.

Your artifact choices on the Juggerlord are fine. There may be others that are of greater benefit but you will need to play a few games first and see where a different artifact may be a better option. Based on your current list Violent Urgency could be a useful command trait to ensure those vital charges and you could swap Gorecleaver for Blood Drinker if you want to help him survive. Try different combinations out and see what you like best.

When you ask about warscrolls I presume you mean battalions (warscrolls give you the rules so they are essential!). You can certainly survive without battalions and many of them are quite restrictive on what models you can take, especially in a 1500 point army. However each battalion you take lets you take an additional artifact which is pretty great. You can also deploy all units in a battalion at once which can help you finish deploying first and therefore decide who takes first turn. Depending on your troop and battalion choices you can build a list around always getting the first turn and getting those first turn charges in (for example the Murder Host and Bloodhunt battalions give a 2D6" move after set up or in the hero phase- when this bonus move is combined with buffs from blood stokers, wraith of khorne bloodthirster or other movement buffs you can be sure of a first turn charge). Basically if a battalion fits with the models you own/want to buy and you can make use of the bonus rules then try to fit it in. Otherwise don't worry about it!

• 3 months later...

Hey!

After some AoS hiatus and the release of GH17 I've gotten back to listmaking. I haven't played any games with GH17 yet but I've looked at the changes (and read Killax's excellent writeup on here). Basically, I have 120 points left and I'd love some input on what to add as a finishing touch to the army, and what artifacts to use. 

List: 

Juggernaut Lord: 140

-Artifact: ?

-Trait: ?

Bloodsecrator: 120

Bloodstoker: 80

10 Chaos warriors: 180

-Shields, command, Mark of Khorne

10 Blood warriors: 200

-2x Axes, command, Champ w/ Goreglaive

3 Skullcrushers: 140

-Glaives, full command

5 Knights: 160

-Ensorcelled weapons, command, Mark of Khorne

5 Skullreapers: 180

5 Skullreapers: 180      

TOTAL: 1380

So, what do you think I should add to complete this list? Some ideas:

2x 10 Marauders? I've heard they're useful for objective grabbing. How important is that with GH17?

Slaughterpriest? The oldschool Khorne player in me is quite anti this sort of quasi-magician, but he does indeed seem quite useful.

A second Bloodstoker? I'm personally most intrigued by this option, since one will be pretty much dedicated to the Skulltakers anyway. 

What do you think?

/Bjornas

I'd just test all of the above ideas, I like them all and think there is a good pro and con to each of them. The use for Marauders is also a personal preforance in playstyle. Slaughterpriests are nice because they offer a different kind of support and a bit of ranged offence, Bloodstokers are cool but linear in their approach. 

There is also a reason to consider another unit of Chaos Knights over the Mighty Skullcrushers.

I think I would agree with @Agent of Chaos, go for a character. Because looking forward you will most likely be expanding to 2k at some point and then the extra character is a must in certain scenarios.

Although I could also argue the other way depending on your preference, if you might want to grow this list further with a Bloodthirster, cool model & tanky hero, you could expand with the 20 marauders or even 5 more warriors to beef them up and later on add a big hero. 

Soooo not much help ;) , but as you said before you don't like the marauders as models I would personally go for the hero you would like to paint and most likely include in a possible 2k list. 

Archived