Gryph-Hounds

Paul@DiceFiend.com

Question

Ok, I'm sitting here creating a list for my Stormcast Eternals as I feel it's time I got some focus and worked towards a list I can use regularly instead of just randomly buying yet another shiny shiny just for it to end up sitting on my shelf.

I've been watching and listening to the experienced guys on their podcasts and watching SCGT YouTube vids (which are all great to watch btw) and seem to keep hearing about teleporting shenanigans so was thinking of ways to protect myself a little from that. Apart from positioning my boys to try and dictate where the bad guy can come in I was thinking about Gryph-Hounds. I was thinking I could have 2 or 3 positioned close(ish) to my Judicator units so that I could pop some shots into the newly arrived baddies to at least reduce it's impact somewhat.

My question is about the description of the Gryph-Hounds 'Warning Cry' ability. It says that any unit within 2D6" of the Gryph-Hound can "attack it with one of its weapons as though it were your shooting phase."

Does this mean that if I have a unit of Judicators within the 2D6", it can only shoot with one of its bows or the whole unit can shoot? 

If it's just one bow it's not a massive loss as the Gryph-Hounds are cheap when using the SCGT Pool Points and the guy with the Shockbolt bow could shoot for a possible D6 wounds instead of 1. And if there are a couple/few Judicator units around that's not too shabby but, obviously, a mass volley of arrows would be nice and nasty.

Or have I got all this ******-about-face?

Cheers.

10 answers to this question

Down at my local store we've always interpreted it to mean that, in effect, each model in the unit shoots with one weapon. If every model were to have several ranged weapons each then they'd have to choose which ranged weapon to use.

Brilliant, that's how I interpreted it personally. Surely Sigmar's elite are all good enough to get one quick shot off at a unit trying to sneak up on them but aren't quick enough to go about choosing a certain weapon.

I did then wonder about whether teleporting counted where the Gryph-Hound's ability is concerned but after further reading of the Knight-Vexillor's teleporty banner skill it clearly says to remove the unit from play then 'set up' somewhere else on the table. Sweet, I'm liking these little dudes. Now to try and find some.

On 5/21/2016 at 9:49 AM, Paul@DiceFiend.com said:

a massive loss as the Gryph-Hounds are cheap when using the SCGT Pool Points and the guy with the Shockbolt bow could shoot for a possible D6 wounds instead of 1. And if there are a couple/few Judicator units around that's not too shabby but, obviously, a mass volley of arrows would be nice and nasty.

Or have I got all this ******-about-face?

It doesn't have to be Judicators either, it can be 'Any unit' so Irondrakes, or Glade Guard... or my personal favourite; a Bastiladon.

20 minutes ago, Mikeboll said:

So whenever a enemy unit moves whitin 10" of a hound you can shoot with all units within 2D6? Is it only the first time a unit moves whitin range or all times they move and are within 10"?

It's only when a unit is set up within 10", for instance through summoning or Vexillor-teleportation.

Archived