Shadow Warriors' unit size in GHB2

Cinncinnatus

So looking at the Shadow Warriors, it occurs to me that on a points per model basis they are actually quite well costed. The issue I have with them is the min unit size of 10. I feel like the serve the same function as the Sylvaneth Revenants, what with their ability to scout up the board. Neither unit is truly devastating in combat or tanky, but they help with board control.

I think dropping the unit size down to 5 for Shadow Warriors would give them greater utility and also make them much more viable In a pure Swifthawks list. Right now, they are outclassed by Reavers and even Spireguard in a Swifthawk list. Reavers are more maneuverable, put out more shots and are cheaper, Spireguard are worse in combat but give you more bodies to control objectives for less points. At the minimum unit size of 10 Shadow Warriors just don't have a clear mission at the moment. They are too expensive to be chaff and don't hit hard enough to be a threat.

So what do we think, should we hope for a minimum unit size change?

I don't expect unit size changes.

But ... technically... their minimum unit size is already 5.

As that is what it is on their warscroll.

So, taking them in units of 5 is fine. (You could even take a single under-strength unit if you really wanted to.)

Your caveat is that you're still paying for 10. Basically, your battle-line units for infantry are almost all minimum unit size of 10 for point costs. And those other choices aren't battleline for a "pure" swifthawk agents force ( at least not Pointed as such in the GHB).

I'm curious, I didn't see the points for Reavers or Spireguard, but there are points for the old Elyrian Reavers and the Lothern Sea Guard. Is that what you're using for matched play?

No, the Reavers and Spireguard have matched points with the Swifthawk keyword. This was the update with the Spire of Dawn boxset release. I think there is a pdf with the points somewhere, but because it's also not in the GHB you can get the points free on the App.

5 hours ago, Cinncinnatus said:

So looking at the Shadow Warriors, it occurs to me that on a points per model basis they are actually quite well costed. The issue I have with them is the min unit size of 10. I feel like the serve the same function as the Sylvaneth Revenants, what with their ability to scout up the board. Neither unit is truly devastating in combat or tanky, but they help with board control.

I think dropping the unit size down to 5 for Shadow Warriors would give them greater utility and also make them much more viable In a pure Swifthawks list. Right now, they are outclassed by Reavers and even Spireguard in a Swifthawk list. Reavers are more maneuverable, put out more shots and are cheaper, Spireguard are worse in combat but give you more bodies to control objectives for less points. At the minimum unit size of 10 Shadow Warriors just don't have a clear mission at the moment. They are too expensive to be chaff and don't hit hard enough to be a threat.

So what do we think, should we hope for a minimum unit size change?

GW made some very odd choices with GHB unit sizes. No idea why Clanrats you can take in 10's while Grots need 20's. Chaos Warriors in 10's while Blood Warriors in 5's. Waywatchers in 3's. 

But for Shadow Warriors, taking them in 5's would be a definite improvement (Especially if they had bravery 7, unsure why they're the only Aelven elite unit that didn't get that). It'd make it easier to use Strike Unseen, and also to get all their models into combat.

Would they be taken though, at 5 for 100?

I'm not really convinced. They suffer a bit from being a jack of all trades. They outshoot 2-shot Reavers, but usually Reavers are going to get 3 (Which they can outshoot if they're in cover). They're decent enough in combat, but certainly nothing to write home about. They're not tough. They're not particularly fast other than their start of game move. So they lack an identity, a reason to be a part of the army.

Personally I think, instead of the current One with the Shadows, if they had the old scout rule back from older Warhammer (May deploy anywhere on the battlefield as long as they're fully in cover and more than 9" away from the enemy), then they might have a real identity as backline infiltrators.

But given GW's reluctance to change warscrolls, I think they'd have to drop in points to be worth considering.

Archived