Best Battlemage in Skirmish?

arka0415

So I've been thinking about magic in Skirmish- the spells will feel different now since they target models, not units. Here are my thoughts:

Lore of Light: Probably wouldn't have an effect in Skirmish, since no morale?

Lore of Heavens: Sounds powerful, since lightning has a chance to arc to nearby models.

Lore of Shadows: Weaker it seems, since you can only make one model inaccurate, not a whole unit.

Lore of Beasts: Still a good thing to cast on your general or another strong unit, since it makes it easier to wound.

Lore of Fire: Arcane Bolt is probably just as good.

Lore of Death: Arcane Bolt is probably better.

Lore of Life: Healing might be much more useful in Skirmish, if your army has lots of multi-wound models.

Lore of Metal: Arcane Bolt is probably better... maybe.

Now the final transmutation for lore of metal can be quite strong. 

If the spell goes through you only have to roll higher than the wounds to kill a model. And it will circumvent the mortal wound wards. It's a general sniping spell. 

Personally I like the life mage. Lifesurge is good spell and they get the basic ones in addition. 

I also like the units with wizard abilities. Doomfire warlocks are good, but I think the sisters of the thorn really shine. Their spell is good, but they also have a good movement, 2 decent javelin attacks and the attacks from the staff and the steed. Their shield of thorns spell along with the eternal guards or the Phoenix guards defense can be very handy in some scenarios. 

Final Transmutation is pretty good! It's a 2+ to kill a 1W model, 3+ to kill a 2W model, etc. Of course, you'd get Arcane Bolt too which just makes it even better!

I don't have the skirmish book yet, so I don't know the Renown costs, but I'd assume that Doomfire Warlocks or Sisters of the Thorn would be the cheapest wizards in the game if you only take 1?

14 hours ago, arka0415 said:

Final Transmutation is pretty good! It's a 2+ to kill a 1W model, 3+ to kill a 2W model, etc. Of course, you'd get Arcane Bolt too which just makes it even better!

I don't have the skirmish book yet, so I don't know the Renown costs, but I'd assume that Doomfire Warlocks or Sisters of the Thorn would be the cheapest wizards in the game if you only take 1?

Yeah they come in cheap. Possibly too cheap... I'm definitely running at least one sister in my wanderers/ sylvaneth list. Mostly because I have the models. But they also seem good. I feel memory serves from mordheim/ necromunda and similar games, being able to do things in every phase is very helpful. 

4 hours ago, arka0415 said:

This is totally true. Have you played many games of Skirmish? I haven't been able to try out Shield of Thorns yet.

Not played any yet I'll admit. Just struck me a small being good in skirmish games generally (small 's'). Shield of thorns is ok. I use it with my sylvaneth. Nice synergy with Spirit of Durthu in full AoS. 

Mostly I just think cheap units that are wizards will be strong for the small games. 

Certainly an advantage for order  not sure other alliances have access to units that are wizards.

The comparison I was doing in my head was of renown points for a Kurnoth Hunter vs renown points for a sister of the thorn.

Sisters are less than half as much. Less survivable. But fast and versatile. Allows taking a combat general too without losing the opportunity to unbind.

A survivable general will be useful for order I think.

I picked up a physical copy of the book today and will try to get some games tomorrow/ Friday.

Defiantly leaning toward the Sisters of the Thorn myself, espically as a Stormcast player.  We're starting a narrative style league starting at 50 renown and I've got to admit, starting with a Celestant, 3x prosecutors and 1x sister seems like a decent starting spot to be able to a) do things during every part of the turn and b) be pretty maneuverable.

Archived