All goblin army viable?

Thaumaturge

I'm a bit new to the game and just curious if an all Gitmob/Moonclan/Spiderfang is a viable thing, since most of the lists I've seen mix in other Destruction elements. I also have a few specific questions, which I shall number for convenience of answering:

1. Is it true that even measuring from their bases, spear goblins/moonclan are small enough to attack in three ranks?

2. Are the Goblin Warboss and Skarsnik still legal compendium Leaders?

3. Are wolfriders and wolf chariots any good? Do you stick with spears on the riders? Bows seem meh. Also can Nasty Skulkers hide inside Wolf Riders?

4. Do you feel any of the Gitmob artillery is worth it? Do you always take them in at least doubles for the special ability?

5. I also like trolls, and have always lumped them in with goblins in Warhammer. Is there any particular breed that you think works best?

1) Goblins are usually mounted on 20 mm bases. Three of the base to base to base — conga line! — will mean the third gobbo needs to reach 40 mm forward to poke whomever the first gobbo is in contact with... 40 mm is 1.575" and spears have a 2" reach. So don't throw out those WHFB movement trays! 

2) Indeed they are. The generic Goblin Warboss is part of the Gitmob Grots subfaction; Skarsnik is part of the Moonclan Grots subfaction.

3A) For a given value of "good," then yes, they are. Wolf Riders are fairly fast movers (12" base, +2" run from their horn blower, plus Destruction Allegiance ability) and make good cannon hunters and flankers... Bows seem more useful as they seem to me to be best as harassers, but ten+ with spears would be a fun "counter punch" unit kept back to reinforce your infantry blocks.

3B) Wolf Chariots strike me as being best used as a "Distraction Carnifex!" unit... They just don't have much staying power once locked in, but they can duff things up pretty well on their initial impact. Your mileage may vary.

3C) Yup; Nasty Skulkers can hide in any "Gitmob Grots" keyword unit with five or more models. "Unexpected Oedipus!" 

4) More dakka is best dakka.

5) All the trolls have the same basic stat lines, with only slight differences between them. They all have their vomit, which is a low-ranged but devastating. Other than they all have a decent Move, four Wounds, Regeneration, and one additional ability depending on their type. Honestly, they all work fairly well... I'm partial to the Fellwater trolls, because I like their models best.

I was actually thinking the same thing, Thaumaturge. Mob armies are hard to deal with for some lists, especially since they're so "off-meta" that people don't often build around mass blobs of units, and the artillery options are pretty good for Gitmob. Spear Chukkas and Doom Divers aren't the best Artillery in the game, but you can max out on them pretty cheap and potentially get some good damage down on opponents.

11 hours ago, Thaumaturge said:

I'm a bit new to the game and just curious if an all Gitmob/Moonclan/Spiderfang is a viable thing, since most of the lists I've seen mix in other Destruction elements. I also have a few specific questions, which I shall number for convenience of answering:

1. Is it true that even measuring from their bases, spear goblins/moonclan are small enough to attack in three ranks?

2. Are the Goblin Warboss and Skarsnik still legal compendium Leaders?

3. Are wolfriders and wolf chariots any good? Do you stick with spears on the riders? Bows seem meh. Also can Nasty Skulkers hide inside Wolf Riders?

4. Do you feel any of the Gitmob artillery is worth it? Do you always take them in at least doubles for the special ability?

5. I also like trolls, and have always lumped them in with goblins in Warhammer. Is there any particular breed that you think works best?

1. Yes

2. Yes. And you get a different warboss for moonclan and gitmob

3. Dunno, im a squig person

4. Gitmob artillery is crazy when it hits and crappy as hell when it doesnt. Always on doubles. Overal best dmg is 2 rock lobbers. Overall best chance is 2 doomdivers. 

5. River trolls look cooler, soubreath have the most apt skill name ever - too dumb to die.

Archived