getting started sylvaneth

Pazuzu

Hi! I'm not touching warhammer miniatures since 6th edition, I wanted to restart, but now everything is changed! It's amazing! There are 2 armies (sylvaneth and khorne guys) that I really like, and I want to have an Idea of how they play and witch are the best firsts miniatures to buy to create a good, balanced 1000 points army, my goal is to learn the game at the beginning and have an expandable army in the future. So I writhe here hoping you guys have any suggestion, or links to similar threads anywhere in the internet, to learn everything I need to start collecting sylvaneth! I've already rules and battle tomes, but without playing I can't fully understand all the dynamics of the game, so it's hard for me to build a list, and at least at the beginning I wouldn't like to buy useless stuff, I'm not that rich...

Thank you!

Ps: I'm Italian, so, I apologize if I made grammar mistakes 

The Sylvaneth battleforce is an excellent place to start.  I personally bought 3 from my army they are that good.  It gives you one of the giant treemen (which you can build as either Tree Lord, Spirit of Durthu, or Tree Lord Ancient).  16 dryads and a Branchwych.  I bought 3 boxes which gives me one of each of the big guys, all the branchwyches I'll need if I decide to play a fun lots of small casters army and a solid foundation of tarpit Dryads. 

The next thing you want to buy is Kurnoth Hunters, they are the stars of the codex and each of their weapon choices kicks serious but. 

Welcome to the community first off. Your English is perfectly acceptable. If you want to get started for either army I would recommend the start collecting boxes. Best value for money and gives you something to play with straight away.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thank you guys, for the welcome in the community, I was trying to build up something for some simple test match  at 1000 points, buying just 2 starter boxes I thought at something like this:

Leaders
Branchwraith (100)
- Deepwood Spell: None
Branchwraith (100)
- Deepwood Spell: None

Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
10 x Dryads (120)
10 x Dryads (120)

Units

Behemoths
Treelord (260)

Battalions
Forest Folk (60)
Harvestboon Wargrove (100)

Total: 980/2000

but, I've a couple of doubt: It makes sense to pay 100pts to get Harvestboon battalion or is better to invest that points to promote the treelord to an ancient one?

Who should be the leader? 

Which ability should I give to him? 

Which objects and spells should I give to the wraiths? 

Thank you again to everybody!

In addition to the suggested units, don't forget about the Sylvaneth Wyldwood. 1-3 citadel woods, for free in matched play. Depending on your local gaming store, you may have access to these already, but having your own is always a good idea. This piece of terrain will allow you to control the board much better, and gives a refuge to make your Dryads hard to shift. Oh, and it'll attack your enemies for you as well.

7 hours ago, HeadHunter said:

I never understood why the start collecting box comes with 16 dryads when their points are in units of 10.

It really confuses me when they sell Dryads in groups of 16, you can only take them in groups of ten, and they only get their bonus to Armor at 12.  Makes it so that you always have some left over no madder how many you end up taking. 

10 hours ago, HeadHunter said:

I never understood why the start collecting box comes with 16 dryads when their points are in units of 10.

Thats because its the same sprue of old WFB Dryads, in that time dryad units had a minimum size, if you wanted to include more you paid for each one, not for a block of them like now

13 hours ago, Shorewood said:

It really confuses me when they sell Dryads in groups of 16, you can only take them in groups of ten, and they only get their bonus to Armor at 12.  Makes it so that you always have some left over no madder how many you end up taking. 

If you had two boxes, you'd get 32, so you'd only have a couple left over.  Might be able to eBay the leftovers.

10 hours ago, Davariel said:

With a little conversion work (or even just a particularly distinctive paint job) you can use the extra dryads as branchwraiths/branchwyches, too.

Kind of baffling that GW didn't put dryads in boxes of 20 when they repackaged them, really 9_9

You could do a conversion into a branchwych but from my experience you will only ever need 2 at most of them which you have anyways from the battle boxes.  

Archived