gear Ungors

Nezgor

Hello, I am setting up my Ungors for my army of mixed year of beasts and the lines I am doing with ungors 10x 60 points to capture objectives and be a filler unit for their cousins of zumosol.
Well, my question is what armament to put:

The clubs are range 1um to hit 4+ to wound 4+ damage 1

And the spears are range 2um to hit 5+ to wound 4+ damage 1

Well, the spears can go well against units of many miniatures but I do not know if it compensates that 5+ to hit ...

What do you advise me? Thank you.

Clubs for units of 10, either for units of 40. Spears come out marginally ahead in large units with the command ability from a Beastlord increasing hit rolls, but otherwise clubs are always going to be better, as you need 50% more models fighting for the spears to match the clubs with the normal difference in hit rates, and that's pretty much the best case scenario for spears, since you can fight through 1 rank anyway with 25mm bases.

I'd check the leaks first; I threw my toys when i saw marauders were minimum 20 now, and went to look at ungors only to find out they are too. I could be wrong though, I've been comparing a lot of stuff and might have my wires crossed.

Build them as Raiders. Gor are much better and you'll probably want 80 Raiders at 2k anyway to counteract how unplayable the army is, and this is coming from someone with 4k Beastmen. Though, with the points changes, Bestigor have become an actual choice, so Ungor and Gor have even less of a niche in their own army, IMO.

1 hour ago, CharnelChimera said:

Build them as Raiders. Gor are much better and you'll probably want 80 Raiders at 2k anyway to counteract how unplayable the army is, and this is coming from someone with 4k Beastmen. Though, with the points changes, Bestigor have become an actual choice, so Ungor and Gor have even less of a niche in their own army, IMO.

I think Beastmen/Brayherd will be pretty competitive after the changes. 20pt drops to Bestigors and raiders, and a 30pt drop for the battalion gives another ~200pts to work with at 2k, and devolve is an exceptional spell for ambush alpha strikes and pulling key units into vulnerable positions. 

Granted, you're probably right about wanting Ungor raiders instead of regular Ungors, as their vanguard move at the start of the game makes them a fantastic screening unit, and their shooting isn't bad for the points after the reduction. Gors and Ungors both are mostly going to be for screening to screen for your bestigors and any allies you bring in, so you may as well take raiders for some ranged threat.

With the Bray Shaman (+3" move) Cogs (+2" move, +2 to charge rolls) and stacking Beastlord command abilities (+1 to charge, run, and hit rolls each), you can get an average ~24.5-32.5 inch charge on turn 1 across your entire army, depending on how many command points you started with - up to ~4 without cutting into your unit count too much by leaving 150 pts open alongside Cogs and the battalion - , and everything hits on 2s in combat. With the battalion, the list can be a single drop, and you get 3 attacks (all models within 16" of the beastlord in combat get +1 attack), re-rolling 1s to wound with the Bestigors. It's like bloodletter bombs, but you get to charge with your entire army (or as much of it as can fit in combat) on turn 1 instead of needing to slingshot one unit across at a time. Odds are, such lists will opt for Cogs and only 1-2 extra command points, bring another endless spell like Pendulum, Geminids, or Palisade, and/or bring on another 10 or so bodies or a second beastlord (though you can guard from most snipes with the Herdstone blocking line of sight).

1 minute ago, Asamu said:

snip

Did they ever confirm/deny the wording on dropping a Herdstone out of ambush? This could be a funny alpha strike list.

Though, I don't think I'd bring the batalion. 200 points could be an extra squad of Gor and you're already getting the bonus. Unless you want to go Chaos, but then you miss out on the sorta cool Trumpet synergy, if you can pull it off. To be honest, I've never had a match where my opponent let me flank them with ambush anyway. It felt good on paper but there was just too much coverage. What's your experience?

15 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

Did they ever confirm/deny the wording on dropping a Herdstone out of ambush? This could be a funny alpha strike list.

Though, I don't think I'd bring the batalion. 200 points could be an extra squad of Gor and you're already getting the bonus. Unless you want to go Chaos, but then you miss out on the sorta cool Trumpet synergy, if you can pull it off. To be honest, I've never had a match where my opponent let me flank them with ambush anyway. It felt good on paper but there was just too much coverage. What's your experience?

The battalion lets you have a 1 drop list, and deciding the first turn is really important with alpha strikes; if the official ruling ends up with a roll off for the first turn, I'd also consider dropping it to get 30 more bestigors, a second beastlord and 30 more gores or 20 bestigors, or a Doombull and some Bullgore allies into the list instead of 2 of the 10 man gor squads, and use 50 of the leftover pts to pay for the command point that would otherwise be lost.

Ambushing is entirely optional with this sort of list; you absolutely shouldn't do it with the Beastlord or a Bray-Shaman, because casting spells and getting the command ability off is so important - you're already moving 15-22" before the charge roll (11" base movement + d6 for the charge + 2-5 to the run roll, depending on how many times you use the BL command ability) , which, if the opponent deployed within 3" of the line, already puts you as close as you can get with ambushing in the worst case scenario of rolling a 1 on the run die.  With the +2-6 to charges and 4" pile in, ambushing one unit on a flank might be worthwhile though, as you get more deployment space.

The biggest issues with ambushing are that the units are required to come on on turn 1, and it's in the movement phase, so they can't cast spells or use command abilities. 

On 6/17/2018 at 2:48 AM, Nezgor said:

Hello, I am setting up my Ungors for my army of mixed year of beasts and the lines I am doing with ungors 10x 60 points to capture objectives and be a filler unit for their cousins of zumosol.
Well, my question is what armament to put:

The clubs are range 1um to hit 4+ to wound 4+ damage 1

And the spears are range 2um to hit 5+ to wound 4+ damage 1

Well, the spears can go well against units of many miniatures but I do not know if it compensates that 5+ to hit ...

What do you advise me? Thank you.

dont put spears in min sized, you soul of cantaro!

On 6/18/2018 at 4:57 PM, Asamu said:

With the Bray Shaman (+3" move) Cogs (+2" move, +2 to charge rolls) and stacking Beastlord command abilities (+1 to charge, run, and hit rolls each), you can get an average ~24.5-32.5 inch charge on turn 1 across your entire army, depending on how many command points you started with - up to ~4 without cutting into your unit count too much by leaving....

How do you activate the command ability from the beastlord in turn one? 

Edit: we should perhaps discuss this topics in the „let’s chat...“ Topic! Just to populate it ?

Archived