Ultimate killing machine CoD?

Frikkie5000

Pretty new to stormcast so please be gentle. Has anyone tried this yet? I haven't gotten to field it in an actual game, but have played nunerous simulations with it and it absolutely murders (if I interpret the rules correctly). There's quite a lot happening to get this going, so I'll try to lay it out as logically as I can.

The main idea is to create the ultimate chaos killing machine with my Celestant on Dracoth.

Strife-ender (+2 attacks)

Staunch defender (+1 save roll)

Drake-kin (to potentially reduce multi-wound dmg if it does go through)

The CoD is then trailed by a Relictor that Divine Lights and Lightning Storm's whatever I'm trying to kill. Causing me to reroll 1's to hit and them -1 to hit. And also a Castellant that Warding Lantern's the CoD for an additional +1 save and healing a wound on a +5. And finally an Azyros that not only buffs my shooting but also Fire Brands the CoD for one additional attack. Put the entire party behind 10 Libs, until the CoD is ready to charge.

The nett result is a CoD with 7 Tempestos hammer attacks (+D3 if he charged), re-rolling 1's, so offensively he does a significant amount if damage.

Defensively, the unit fighting him has -1 to hit, while he has a 2+ save against rend -1, with re-rolled 1's causing a mortal wound to whoever attacked him. And 5+ saves healing him while roll of 5+ reduces unsaved multi-wounds to 1 thanks to Drake-kin .

I've tried with numerous units and this thing is unkillable with non-mortal wound weapons. 

I have a rules questions though.

1) Does the Warding Lantern healing buff from the Castellant trigger for every save roll of 5+? And does it then immediately negate any failed saves? So if he has to make 5 saves and I roll 5, 5, 1, 1, 4. Does it mean the two 5's basically cancel out the two 1's and I take no damage?

To the healing question no, it would heal wounds you had suffered on previous turns but as there is nothing to heal until the damage is applied to the best of my knowledge you would still suffer those wounds. 

Also bear in mind whilst you've worked all this out on them attacking the dracoth, you have put about 300 points of excess characters into buffing him, odds are they get sniped and killed with relative ease before dealing with the dracoth and you've correctly identified that with this setup he's a couple of wizards away from dying before he reaches combat. If he makes it there he'll really kill one unit but odds are there are better uses for 500 points

to the healing question: Melcavuk is absolutly right, its somewhere in the FAQ.

to the rest: if you put 3-4 buffs on a unit, every unit becomes very strong. You are putting a lot of weight on one card, you have to keep him out of range of mortal wound attacks.

And I would take the Lightning Hammer, its most of the time the best choice for a LCoD

Take the lightning hammer.

It's a retributor hammer than make 2 mortal wound on a 6... IN ADDITION to your normal attack. It can accumulate in a ridiculous amount of damage.

And the "no pile-in" mean you can throw it to big killy blobs (like 30 bloodletters and witch aelves) without any risk

Should have clarified that I mainly intend on using this for sub-1000 last man stands type gameswe like to play. I've concocted this idea because I'm having a hard time getting decent synergy going to compete against some of the hard hitting guys in my local meta such as mixed Destruction, Khorne and FEC. 

1 hour ago, Frikkie5000 said:

Should have clarified that I mainly intend on using this for sub-1000 last man stands type gameswe like to play. I've concocted this idea because I'm having a hard time getting decent synergy going to compete against some of the hard hitting guys in my local meta such as mixed Destruction, Khorne and FEC. 

Last man standing (not a format I recommend playing) lends itself to a lot of cheesy builds - I would imagine a turtling shooter list with lots of bubble buffs would excel. 

Archived