1500 Points IronJawz list - Knife to the Heart

krimsynn

Looking for suggestions:

I have  an upcoming League game and it's 1500 points on the Knife to the Heart battleplan.  My opponent is playing Seraphon. The models I currently have to choose from are:

1 Gordrakk/Megaboss on MawKrusha

1  Megaboss

2 Warchanfers 

1 Weirdnob Shaman

6 Gore Gruntas

20 Ardboyz

10  Brutes

20 Arrowboyz allies

This is an insanely hard matchup for you. You almost definitely can't win a major victory with the seraphon teleportation. So you need to focus on winning a Minor, that means being able to protect your own VP while inflicting as much damage as possible.

Honestly without knowing his list I have no idea how you would want to build or even what you would do to counter him.

Do you know what kind of seraphon built? Seraphon have a lot of option and 2 seraphon army can play quite different (like a Kroaknado

overall you should avoid rend 1 cause seraphon are immune anyway. If you want to win i think you need to combo with a big damage spike early game so he never recover. 

I think you should start with 

MK 460
Warchanter 80
Warchanter 80

20 arboys 360
6 goregruntas

if you manage to charge with all that buffed by waaaaghh, it's around 80 damages. (mostly rend 0). You could use prophet of the waagh to increase your odds of hitting a 6 with the waaaagh (you will need 1 more units to trigger it). Obviously  If you play agains 3 Bastilladon with the 3+ reroll save, it won't do much.

I would say in that particular matchup you would need more Ardboys than brutes (more model and more life for same points) but again depend what you're facing.

Not sure if you need the Ironfist (160 pts is a lot)

We generally ooze rend -1 which as @broche has pointed out is largely worthless here.  That being the cast you need mortal wounds, and rend -2

Our sources of those are the Maw Krusha, the Shaman and Allies.

Broadly there are two ways I would go with this.  The first is to kit out the Maw Krusha with Metal Rippa and go headlong into him, although depending on his list I would expect you to lose that way most times.  The second is based around a Weirdfist.

Castle Up, Buttercup

Spoiler

At 1500 point you can fit in 300 points of Allies.  Hey presto, 3x Rock Lobbas!  With this army you can out range your opponent and aim to play the long game, winning on points.  The Rock Lobbas will give you the opportunity to knock Kroak off his Balewind.  4 drops is decent at this points level so you may well outdrop your opponent - if he has a big block of Saurus Guard you can pound them before they get the buffs down.  You are basically hoping for that one turn where the Shaman goes crazy, and putting him in the best position for that to occur.  

Also you might not own Rock Lobbas, but they are probably the easiest thing in the world to convert at a basic level.

The Gruntas are there to max out the Weirdfist - and if you do get lucky and annihilate him, they have the legs to get to his objective.  But really you are aiming to win the artillery war and therefore the minor victory - and if you do lose, it will likely only be a minor.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Weirdfist (200)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 118

hum interesting list, only one heros, i guess you don't need them for Knife anyway

in any case your strategy should be: try to grind his model (skink and saurus). Avoid losing damage on thing you can survive. Protect your objective since he teleport.

That probably mean you need to keep 10 ardboys sitting on your objective, and keep the Krusha menacing the two objective. I think he might have hard time dealing with a Krusha with Ironclad actually (seraphon have lots of rend 1 too but not that much rend 2). If he just have a standart slann, his mortal wound output is very limited. As @PlasticCraic mentionned, Metalrippa claw will make most of your attack rend 2.  Slap the mystic shield on it with weirnob and it will give him some headache.

Knife is hard to win a major unfortunatly, you will need some luck i guess...

39 minutes ago, broche said:

hum interesting list, only one heros, i guess you don't need them for Knife anyway

in any case your strategy should be: try to grind his model (skink and saurus). Avoid losing damage on thing you can survive. Protect your objective since he teleport.

That probably mean you need to keep 10 ardboys sitting on your objective, and keep the Krusha menacing the two objective. I think he might have hard time dealing with a Krusha with Ironclad actually (seraphon have lots of rend 1 too but not that much rend 2). If he just have a standart slann, his mortal wound output is very limited. As @PlasticCraic mentionned, Metalrippa claw will make most of your attack rend 2.  Slap the mystic shield on it with weirnob and it will give him some headache.

Knife is hard to win a major unfortunatly, you will need some luck i guess...

Yeah it's a very tailored list, certainly not one I would tout around as an all-comers list! 

It's tailored to the matchup, because your artillery is all either mortal wounds or rend -2

And it's tailored to the scenario, because all your artillery is at extreme range, so you can castle up on your home objective and still reach out to them

Which in turn means you can keep your battleline units bunkered around your artilllery, both to protect them and buff the Shaman simultaneously - you don't need to move them away to claim objectives.

It's certainly not guaranteed to win, but it's worth a try in this specific matchup I think.

Ahh the old "I hope you like foot of gork" list. Had an equivalent list (at 2k) someone run in a tournament earlier in the year. He capped over 40 mortal wounds from a single foot of gork, removed 3 dragon lords from the board turn 1.....

Archived