Path of Bones, a narrative campaign for Skirmish, now with Scenario 1, WIP

Thundercake

Hey all,

Currently working on a "narrative campaign" for Skirmish. I have the overall rules and first (of 6) scenario done and am currently bumbling around Scribus so I can get it out in some sort of decent pdf format.

The idea is that there is a realm master that controls the non-player models/warbands and 1-6 players who control a warband that grows over time. In honor of Malign Portents, the players take on the role of a Necromancer adapt, whose master has recently been killed by the town-folk. The players then go on a journey of learning the dark arts, growing their warband, and maybe/hopefully earning the blessing of one of the Mortarchs and starting a new vampire coven.

Below is a draft of the title page. My goal is to get this out in pieces as I get scenarios finished, then as a whole campaign, and then maybe a revised copy after I have had time to play through it all.

IF anyone has pictures of painted or black and white death (particularly necromancers), freeguild, devoted of sigmar models on tables with terrain or in a light box OR artwork that they would be willing to let me use for the campaign that would be amazing. This thing is totally unofficial and is not being done for any type profit. However, I would love to have some great pictures and/or artwork in it to help bring it to life. If anyone is willing, you will be given credit of course.

5a78c8861fff8_ScreenShot2018-02-05at4_11_18PM.png.624c1c0ad10ad31e6f953960c47d7d36.png

And if anyone wants to see the current rules and starting lore hook, here that is.

The wind blows foul now. This time of year should be full of the scents of harvest in the realm of Life. However, the fields were scare this year, many farmer’s crops turning to shriveled husks almost as soon as they ripened. The elders speak of dark times from the past, when their forebearers scraped a living from the Fallow Thicket while hiding from roving bands of Chaos. The High Seat in Verdant Bay had sent forth riders, seeking to know the reach of the failed harvest. The elders had briefly turned to Oran, the hermit lived on the edge of the wood, for answers, but he had been of little help. Some whispered he was a magician, a wizard who had not past his trials. Oran was known for his knowledge of bird and beast, able to ease the pain of the suffering, and to lay the passed to rest, and keep their spirits in the ground, they had hoped he would have had some answer.

However, he had been less help than the riders from Verdant Bay. Oran had just shaken his head and muttered sullenly about shades and shadows among the fields.

The foul wind seemed to bring other unnatural happenings with it. Within the militia there was talk of grave robbers after freshly turned earth had been found in the town’s cemetery. Hooded and ominous strangers had been seen upon the road but had never arrived within the village. Some villagers swore on the light of Azyerheim they had seen multiple people around Oran’s cottage but the militia captain could find no evidence when he had visited Oran.  

The times were ominous and the wind was foul…..

Starting the Campaign

This campaign is comprised of 6 scenarios. Each scenario requires a realm master and any number of other players that represent a newly realized practitioner of the dark arts.

As a player, do not use renown for this campaign. You will use ‘souls’ to gain new followers for your character. If you are the realm master, you may use renown points. Alternatively, you can forgo renown points and use your judgement to create challenging scenarios for the players.

For this campaign, disregard the Campaign rules found on pages 19 and 20 of the AOS Skirmish supplement and instead use the rules listed below.  

Picking A Warband

In this campaign, each player starts with warband comprised of a Necromancer and 2 henchmen. The Necromancer serves as your general for the campaign. You can find the warscroll for henchmen in the Warscroll Section. Instead of picking a command ability for your Necromancer, each player has the Necrotic Aura as an ability for their Necromancer.

Each player may select an Artefact of Power for their Necromancer at the start of the campigan from the list on page 18 of the AOS Skirmish supplement. However, replace number 4 with ___ and number 6 with _____

Between Games

Gaining and spending souls

Acceptance into the coven relies on your ability to win battles, gather souls around you, and hold them in thrall to your service. After each scenario, players gather more souls to them which they can use to summon more followers to lead into battle. The number of souls each Necromancer gathers depends on the outcome of the scenario, as listed below.

Result              Souls Gathered

Major Victory              +10

Minor Victory              +8

Draw                           +6

Loss                             +5

Any gathered souls can be used to immediately add new followers to your warband or can be saved for future use. As the players grow in power they will be able to summon more powerful minions. A list of summonable minions is contained at the end of each scenario.

You may also attempt to unsummon current followers to add their souls back to your total “pool”. However, doing so comes with the risk of the soul escaping and being called to Shyish. If you wish to unsummon a current follower, you must roll a D6 for each model that you are attempting to unsummon. On a roll of a 6, all of the souls making up that model have escaped to Shyish.

Soul cost of minions

Skeleton 2

Dire Wolf 3

Grave Guard 4

Black Knight 5

Spirit Host 6

HexWraith 7

Raven Swarm 8

Crypt Horror 11

Vargheist 11

Carin Wraith 13

Banshee 17

Wight King 25

Varghulf 32

Casualties

Any models that were slain or fled during the battle are assumed to either have been resummoned by your necromancer or returned to your warband in time for your next game.

Warscrolls

image.png.b30762cbe9186840ff1f6fc293ac40e6.png

image.png.5495fc73412e9acd434733e3ee7ca274.png

Rewards of Battle

-WIP

Special Rules

The following ability applies to each necromancer

Necrotic Aura- During your hero phase, you can replenish your undead minions. You may choose to 1) add D6 skeletons or 2) add D3 dire wolves or 3) add D3 grave guard. Choose a point within 6 inches of your Necromancer to resummons the models on to the board.

You can only replenish minions if you have removed models of that type from the board during the battle. You can never replenish more minions of a specific type than you have removed that battle. Other minions require too much effort to be resummoned during battle and may only be replenished in between games.

The following rule applies to all battles in this campaign

Shambling Rebirth- Anytime a living model (any model without the death keyword dies on the battlefield), add a corpse token to the same spot. During your hero phase, if your Necromancer is within 12 inches of a corpse token, you may raise a zombie where the token is. This counts as casting a spell with that model. You can raise as many zombies using this spell as there are corpse tokens within 12 inches of your Necromancer. The only way to obtain zombies is to raise them from corpses.

I think it's a very cool project. I like the implement of souls instead of renown points. I will be aware of all the rules you create. Coincidentally I am creating a similar project, but with warbands led by vampires fighting over the control of a city. I will follow your project closely ^^.

@StoneMonk I saw you tease it awhile back, I'm excited to see yours, planning on checking out that video you just put up shortly. My pdf creation skills are seriously lacking lol. I started off working off of the Hinterland rules but ended up going AOS skirmish as I thought it had more people currently engaged with it.

Same, Renown or Ruin uses base Skirmish but simply adds a layer for increasing and decreasing renown, battleplans that pit 1-4 warbands vs a Realm Master's warband, and ways to encourage Roleplay and narrative development. Still lots to fill in and build to make it more intuitive to run for a not-so-experienced GM/RM. I'd be grateful for any feedback when it comes out. Thanks @Thundercake

Archived