Looking for tips: Lasercut MDF

Snoe

Hello painting pros! I recently purchased my first piece of scenery made from Lasercut MDF, a nice partially crumbling piece of wall with a gate. It went together great and I stuck it to a base. It even have cool looking boulders laserd into the wall sections. Now comes my conundrum, how to paint said terrain piece? I suppose I don't have to prime it black but how do I keep all the nice burnt-in details? Use washes? Dilute my paints a lot so it shows through? Individually paint in the stones? Any tips appreciated!2f99a4798b166e9fa5fb930e76bac44e.jpg

Skickat från min SM-J510FN via Tapatalk

Unless sealed, MDF is rather porous. I would recommend sealing it and then priming for painting.

As MDF is a wood material it will soak up water (and then warp).

So you would want to seal it with a non-water based sealant prior to any kind of painting.

You want to prevent water ingress, because otherwise you can end up with mold and fungus growing in your terrain. [emoji20] (an advantage to using resin or plastic terrain)

You can always "re-paint" the burned sections.

(Think of it like wood furniture. You seal it to protect it.)

PVA is water-based, or would typically require dilution with water.

You'd want to use a solvent based primer.

Here's a nice article about working with MDF (from the perspective of furniture)

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/06/06/tips-for-painting-mdf

One recommendation that has been consistent in my reading is using:

Zinsser BIN or Zinsser Cover Stain. BIN is available in a aerosol.

I painted my MDF even wihtout a primer... (although it was mostly brown/rusty paint for metallic paint afterwards). It went on just fine, but a second coat might be needed if you want a solid color. 

I used armypainter quickshade afterwards to seal everything and it forms a nice protective layer (very useful for scenery). 

Archived