New player needing a bit of guidence

I haven't played WHFB since 7th edition, I was a vampire counts player.

Anyway, I have a doubles tournament coming up and I thought it would be a great opportunity to motivate myself to pick up the paint brush again.

It's a 1000 points per player (so 2000 a side) and I would like use Vampire Counts (because I have a bunch, and a fair amount painted) and my partner will be running demons (he has 4000 painted to pick from). Any guidance on what I should bring to help? Large blocks, elites, a mix, a big man on dragon? 

I'd suggest having a scan through some of the discussions over in the Grand Alliance: Death part of the forums - specifically any 1k army lists.  This should give you a pretty good idea on what generally works and what doesn't.

My own observation is that most lists tend to focus on more of a Skeleton Hoard (aka Deathrattle) up to the 1000 point mark and then expand out into some of the powerhouses like Vampire on Zombie Dragon.

Zombies are amazing in huge blocks as well. Just like skeletons, they get huge bonuses in large numbers. Not sure which are better. I suspect skeletons are mathematically better because they get more attacks, so your damage output is likely more consistent. Someone who understands better, feel free to explain!

Archived