Brayherd+khorne list help

doritosanddew666

I'm new to age of sigmar and have only played 40k. I wanted to start a brayheard and blades of khorne army and was wandering if anyone could help me make a list before I purchase anything.

I'm not super competitive person and mainly play for fun, but any tips on what might work well would be great.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your replies :)

Fun thing about Brayherd is that they provide mobile Battleline (i.e. compulsory choice troops). You'll lose access to a lot of the goodies you get in the Blades of Khorne book (Blood Tithe and many of the Artefacts and Traits, etc), but in exchange you'll have a fairly quick army. 

I would encourage you to just pick up the models you want to get first, especially if you're not super competitive. 

The things I've found that work for me is putting an emphasis on "Horde". I feel like a lot of Chaos/Khorne monsters can detract from your offensive capabilities and lasting power if you rely on them too much. Since you're getting started, I'd recommend picking up some Gors and/or Ungor Raiders. The Raiders are not very "Khorne-y" with their bows, but they're one of the few ranged options Chaos gets in general and Gors are fairly solid and mobile for 80 points. 

A Bray Shaman is also not very "Khorne-y" but will greatly enhance the movement capabilities of your units. 

A Bloodsecrator (and really, the whole Age of Sigmar Khorne starter half) is a great start. Bloodreavers turn into an incredibly nasty offensive tool when buffed, and Blood Warriors are also stout. After that I'd pick up the Getting Started Bloodbound boxed set to give you more Warriors and a unit of Mighty Skullcrushers as well. The $170 Battalion box is also a great value if you can afford it, as is Gorechosen. 

That being said: Using Khorne-marked Knights, Mighty Skullcrushers and other mobile Khorne units (Chariots, Blood Throne, Bloodcrushers, etc) and then throwing three units of Gors in with a Bray Shaman to fulfill your Battleline tax will give you an incredibly fast army. 

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

That website is great for letting you play around with units and deciding what you want to build. 

7 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Fun thing about Brayherd is that they provide mobile Battleline (i.e. compulsory choice troops). You'll lose access to a lot of the goodies you get in the Blades of Khorne book (Blood Tithe and many of the Artefacts and Traits, etc), but in exchange you'll have a fairly quick army. 

I would encourage you to just pick up the models you want to get first, especially if you're not super competitive. 

The things I've found that work for me is putting an emphasis on "Horde". I feel like a lot of Chaos/Khorne monsters can detract from your offensive capabilities and lasting power if you rely on them too much. Since you're getting started, I'd recommend picking up some Gors and/or Ungor Raiders. The Raiders are not very "Khorne-y" with their bows, but they're one of the few ranged options Chaos gets in general and Gors are fairly solid and mobile for 80 points. 

A Bray Shaman is also not very "Khorne-y" but will greatly enhance the movement capabilities of your units. 

A Bloodsecrator (and really, the whole Age of Sigmar Khorne starter half) is a great start. Bloodreavers turn into an incredibly nasty offensive tool when buffed, and Blood Warriors are also stout. After that I'd pick up the Getting Started Bloodbound boxed set to give you more Warriors and a unit of Mighty Skullcrushers as well. The $170 Battalion box is also a great value if you can afford it, as is Gorechosen. 

That being said: Using Khorne-marked Knights, Mighty Skullcrushers and other mobile Khorne units (Chariots, Blood Throne, Bloodcrushers, etc) and then throwing three units of Gors in with a Bray Shaman to fulfill your Battleline tax will give you an incredibly fast army. 

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

That website is great for letting you play around with units and deciding what you want to build. 

Thank you very much dude, I'll go for a mobile horde then :)

Here's some inspiration

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Daemon Weapon
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman

Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Gors (80)
10 x Gors (80)

Units

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
10 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (200)
- Axes & Shield
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (400)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)
- Greatblade

Battalions
Brass Stampede (80)

Total: 2000/2000

If your just starting out I'd say follow the path of models you like the most. Based on that more practicle advice can be given. 

Currently Blades of Khorne armies, or the Khorne army / Khorne Alliance does look for models with the Khorne Keyword. In the current variant of the game Brayherd models do not have Chaos Marks and thus the Khorne Keyword. It's quite important to remember because it has a large effect on how your army will work out.

Basically if you like Chaos you can go for that Grand Alligance or can go for more specialized Alliances now, such as Tzeentch or Khorne. These Alliances do require you to start out with units with that Keyword however.

Looking forward to here which models appeal to you the most :) 

4 hours ago, Killax said:

If your just starting out I'd say follow the path of models you like the most. Based on that more practicle advice can be given. 

Currently Blades of Khorne armies, or the Khorne army / Khorne Alliance does look for models with the Khorne Keyword. In the current variant of the game Brayherd models do not have Chaos Marks and thus the Khorne Keyword. It's quite important to remember because it has a large effect on how your army will work out.

Basically if you like Chaos you can go for that Grand Alligance or can go for more specialized Alliances now, such as Tzeentch or Khorne. These Alliances do require you to start out with units with that Keyword however.

Looking forward to here which models appeal to you the most :) 

I came up with a list, it may suck but I'm probably going to start with it.

2000 points

Leaders

Great Bray shaman 

Skulltaker 

Bloodstoker

Bloodsecrator

Mighty Lord of khorne

Units

Gor - 10 x3

Bloodletters - 10

Marauders - 10

Bloodreavers - 20

Blood warriors - 5

Chaos knights 10

Mighty crushers - 3 x2

Chaos gorbeast chariot - 1

Let me know what you think. This is mainly based off units I think look well suited to the army and I kind of want to go for a fast moving horde.

It looks like a cool start to me but I do have to say that for 2K your running a lot of small units. In addition I don't believe you can have the Khorne Alliance this way if you wanted it because not all your units have the Khorne Keyword. However this might not be your intend anyway!

As for comments:
- I'd personally go for a bigger block of Gor, 30 seem like a solid choice.
- Same pretty much applies for the Bloodletter/Marauders/Blood Warriors, I'd pick either and ensure you have a big block of models to work with. Bloodletters work very well as a unit of 30, Blood Warriors become good as a unit of 10.
- The cavalry seems ace!

Some things to consider here from my perspective are:

1. Do you want to run Chaos (mixed) or Khorne? The latter restricts your options somewhat but does allow for awesome Artefact and Ability acces.
2. Consider that if you'd remove the Beastmen you'd end up with a Khorne viable force.
3. Brass Stampede is an amazing Battalion that really allows for Khorne Cavalry to be really good. If you want to go fast I'd seriously consider this Battalion. You seem to like Skullcrushers anyway. 

As above, Brayherds don't have marks anymore and this is both a blessing and boon for potential acces to some really speedy and hard hitting abilities. 
As always though, play and get what you like. I'm not saying you have to go tournament competative but with the current small units your running now I think you'll have trouble sticking around.

One of the cool alternatives to using Brayherd models is to use them as Bloodbound variants of the same thing. For example, I think that if you'd convert your own Brayherd Shaman and have it act as a Slaughterpriest is a very solid plan. Same applies to Gors in my opinion, they can easily be used Bloodreaver substitutes. At that moment you can even consider Gore Pilgrims combined with Brass Stampede to have the functional speed and support role with the models you like. 

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

It looks like a cool start to me but I do have to say that for 2K your running a lot of small units. In addition I don't believe you can have the Khorne Alliance this way if you wanted it because not all your units have the Khorne Keyword. However this might not be your intend anyway!

As for comments:
- I'd personally go for a bigger block of Gor, 30 seem like a solid choice.
- Same pretty much applies for the Bloodletter/Marauders/Blood Warriors, I'd pick either and ensure you have a big block of models to work with. Bloodletters work very well as a unit of 30, Blood Warriors become good as a unit of 10.
- The cavalry seems ace!

Some things to consider here from my perspective are:

1. Do you want to run Chaos (mixed) or Khorne? The latter restricts your options somewhat but does allow for awesome Artefact and Ability acces.
2. Consider that if you'd remove the Beastmen you'd end up with a Khorne viable force.
3. Brass Stampede is an amazing Battalion that really allows for Khorne Cavalry to be really good. If you want to go fast I'd seriously consider this Battalion. You seem to like Skullcrushers anyway. 

As above, Brayherds don't have marks anymore and this is both a blessing and boon for potential acces to some really speedy and hard hitting abilities. 
As always though, play and get what you like. I'm not saying you have to go tournament competative but with the current small units your running now I think you'll have trouble sticking around.

One of the cool alternatives to using Brayherd models is to use them as Bloodbound variants of the same thing. For example, I think that if you'd convert your own Brayherd Shaman and have it act as a Slaughterpriest is a very solid plan. Same applies to Gors in my opinion, they can easily be used Bloodreaver substitutes. At that moment you can even consider Gore Pilgrims combined with Brass Stampede to have the functional speed and support role with the models you like. 

So I'm not 100% sure on how this works if I go grand alliance of chaos I can use all chaos units but won't receive as many benefits as running a more organised alliance for example all khorne? And if so what sort of restrictions am I looking at?

30 minutes ago, doritosanddew666 said:

So I'm not 100% sure on how this works if I go grand alliance of chaos I can use all chaos units but won't receive as many benefits as running a more organised alliance for example all khorne? And if so what sort of restrictions am I looking at?

No worries! It's a lot to process.

I'll try to keep it as easy as possible, we essentially have 3 ways to obtain an Alliance choice:
1. You pick the Grand Alliance Keyword, this allows you use the Chaos Battle Trait, Artefacts etc. All of this is covered in the Generals Handbook.
2. You pick another Keyword all your units belong to, this allows you to pick the Khorne Alliance instead of Chaos Alliance, all the Battle Traits and Abilities you gain here are covered in Blades of Khorne.
3. You pick two Keywords all your units belong to (aswell as your General), this allows you to gain some additional bonuses, covered in Generals Handbook and BoK. For example, if you run a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut and all your Units have the Bloodbound keyword, Mighty Skullcrushers become a Battleline unit. 

If you go Grand Alliance Chaos you have all the units with the Chaos keyword available to use but you'll also have to use the Chaos Battle Trait etc.
If you go Khorne Alliance you are limited to Khorne keyword Units but you also gain acces to Blood Tithe Points, Khorne Command Traits, Khorne Artefacts etc,

So,..

The thing about Brayherds is people have always quite liked the Beastmen infantry and they've never been particularly great.  Good but not great.

Beastmen are fast.  And as much as I love them they are kinda,.. you're horde chaff.  If you have the money I recommend looking at the Furious Brayherd formation.  You can make it clock in around 1000 points and I kinda feel it is always handy to have an army work in that points block cause you can dual formation something up.

I saw on Miniwargaming this list and felt it was an okay start:

Beastlord

Great Bray-Shaman

20 Gors

20 Gors

10 Gors

10 Ungors

20 Bestigors.

I think that is about 960 points and is one drop.  If you drop 10 Gors you can do 20 Ungors and while you cannot charge with the Ungors you can use them to counter-attack behind Gors when they are charged.  With spears it gives you a good bucket of attacks.

You could alternatively do 30/10/10 Gors which would mean your main block is fairly good.  I would also be inclined to get a BSB in there to boost them if you are playing 2000 and don't mind the extra drop.  Mystic Shield goes well on Bestigors.  Use the Ungors as a screen, the 2 x 10 Gors as objective campers.

I believe at this point shields are better than 2HW but maybe you can model both?  Don't quote me on it :S

The Gors move 9" + D6+1 + 2D6" charge with a 4" pile-in when near the GBS.  

The Beastlord is useless and dies.  Just take Inspiring presence, maybe twice.

Beastmen hordes are a good counter to Multiwound armies cause you can blanket board control and really start to pile up lots of attacks.  Ungors are just,.. so cheap, don't underestimate them.  particularly with Gorthor (who really boosts Raiders).  Speaking of which the Raider formation isn't terrible either.  90 Raiders behind a long conga line of warhounds and Gorthor will hurt :P 

Hope that helps :)

The other thing you can do is look for the Warherd Khorne formation.  There isn't points so if you want it in matched play you'll need to come to an agreement with your opponent (I pay the same as the other Warherd formation, 120 I think?) and you can really mix and match some good Khorne support in.  The extra W goes a long way too.  Or  you will need to do Open Play.  In a tournament if you ask present and ask the TO they may be game?  In casual games it shouldn't be a problem.  

When I used it I played the scenario and it was a blast.

I backed my blocks of Warherds with a Bloodstoker, Bloodsecrator and Plague Priest.  6 Bullgors with Great Weapons will butcher anything particularly with Rend -2 :D  I took 3 x 6 Bullgors, 3 Ghorgons and then support.  I had to do it at 2500 also cause I needed the Ungor battleline which was just 4 x 10 of them. 

Just something to consider and look into :)

Archived