Gutrot Spume's Clutching Pseudopods

hobgoblinclub

Question

Gutrot Spume's 'Clutching Pseudopods' ability states that it prevents the enemy model using its attack 'until the end of the phase'. Does this mean Gutrot only delays his opponent until the end of the same phase in which he ensnares them? Initially I read this as stopping the enemy's attack altogether that turn, but now I'm thinking it might not be the case.

What do you think? 

12 answers to this question

The opponent would still get to attack, but only after all other units have attacked. 

I'll try to dig it up, but I think there is a passage in one of the rules sheets that says an ability that happens at the start of a phase happens before anything else, and events at the end of a phase happen after everything else.

EDIT: It's in the Hint's & Tips section, under When to Use Abilities.

Abilities that are used at the start of a phase must be carried out before any other actions. By the same token, abilities used at the end of the phase are carried out after all normal activities for the phase are complete.

54 minutes ago, Nico said:

There are lots of reasons not to use him - movement 4 and a truly junk Command Ability for a start.

Haha...I genuinely think that it might be the worst Command Ability in the game - conversely, it probably has the coolest name. So when I finish my Chaos and take them to a Tournament he will be included purely so that I can name the army "Towering Arrogance" on the display board plaque! He's also a super sweet model and ok in combat, decent save etc. If only you could attach him to 10 Blightkings for the sake of Sayl the Faithless' spell. That would be nice. Alas, he ends up slow and often useless (scenario dependant).

#tangents

It's really disappointing that his command ability is so poor.  The command ability of the Lord of Plagues is pretty poor too.  It's a shame as they're both lovely models.  I've just bought both of them.  It'd be great to be looking forward to running them in the hope they were going to help me smash things up.  Instead I'm thinking I'll probably get smashed if I run them both.  

The good thing about the Lord of Plagues one atleast is that you can place it far away in enemy lines. Psychological effect in the least.

However, Gutrot's is incredibly situational. Since he is slow, and doesn't really buff a unit per se, most of my opponents have been ignoring him for the most part. He takes too long to kill. 

He has a quite a few wounds for such a foot hero, but.. thats all he is. He has a decent chance of doing some damage, but he is slow and provides no buffs.

Could try Festus for Blightkings. He can heal them, and his spell, Curse of the Leper, helps with Blightkings (and chaos in general) having minimal Rend on weapons. 

Archived