What to use: 1000pts vs skaven

Soul oWar

First time I will be playing vs skaven this afternoon and first time playing at 1000 pts. I was thinking of using this list:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1000/2000

Any thoughts?

In my humble opinion you don't have many options anyway. This looks fine, and I would play it probably against any other army. One could exchange the Ardboyz or the Gruntas for another unit of Brutes. I personally would leave out the Gruntas. Not as resilient as the Boyz, and our army is fast enough.

On 30 april 2017 at 6:23 PM, Soul oWar said:

never met the guy, never played vs skaven, pretty much in the know that I'll be schooled. Battle bre or talisman on teh megaboss? (will put general on the brutes)

remeber that you have 2 artifacts as you have a battalioon to. I would put brew on megaboss and talesman on warchanter. 

13 hours ago, Soul oWar said:

what I did, got destroyed. But the guy is cool, and don't like the free mortal wound. Didn't like it either but learned from the matchup...

What did he have in his list? Gunline, hordes or deceiver?

2x 3 stormfiend

1x Warp Lightning Cannon

1x Warp-Grinder Weapon Team

1x Arch-Warlock

something like this. I got double turn T2, got my 10 brutes into is stormfiend and left 1 at 1 wounds, from there the meteor fell on the only point that gave him the game, anywhere else and I would have won.

Now that I know a bit more about skaven, should have gave him T2, and setup my entire army at 15 inch of him and steamroll him. But 1K pts I feel like destruction is tier 4 while at 2000 more like a tier 2 army.

1 hour ago, Soul oWar said:

Now that I know a bit more about skaven, should have gave him T2, and setup my entire army at 15 inch of him and steamroll him. But 1K pts I feel like destruction is tier 4 while at 2000 more like a tier 2 army.

I always try to let my opponent take first turn.  Everyone seems to set up their models as far forward as they can, and move up to charge their melee guys.  With the potential of 2d6 movements (and +2 for some), 4 inch moves, and then the 2d6 charge moves, I find I can be in melee on the bottom of turn 1 consistently with my Ironjawz, and plan my army around that.

I know Gore-gruntas aren't the greatest unit choice, but their high bravery and wound count make them excellent flank holders, and they can boogie right across the board, even in an Iron Fist Battalion.

Skaven shooting is actually what I have the most trouble with as well.  Really, any ranged Mortal Wound damage is hard on Ironjawz.

Archived