Ambushing troubles...

FractalRain

Hello,

I ran some friends through the first couple levels of Shadows over Hammerhal this past weekend and overall it was very fun.  However, I noted that as the Game Master, I was having terrible luck rolling for Ambushes (needing to roll a "6") and in some cases the players were getting a little bored spending their turn moving through the dungeon when they cleared it.  Anyone else have that problem?  If so, how did you solve it?  We almost just had ambushers arrive on a 5+, but I was worried that might make it too difficult.  Any advice is appreciated!

The players do sign up to be subject to your whims!

Regarding throwing too much at the players at once,you could either;

- Override the number of Adversaries generated by lowering the amount that actually turn up. Easiest done when what you have just generated clearly outmatches the players at that current point.

- If the players get caught up in an encounter that has ground to a near-halt, justify a reason to start slowly pulling some of the Adversaries loitering around the back out to go flee to another room. That way, once these excess stranglers disappear off-board, you could always throw them back in at a later point when the players have gained momentum again.

- Deliberately fudge some Adversary attack rolls to miss when they would of hit otherwise, or impose your own secret modifiers.

Either way, if you're not already hiding all your Gamesmaster materials, notes and dice rolls out of the sight of players - I really recommend you do that! That way you can amend how the game is unfolding naturally, without making it obvious to the players that are bending the rules a bit! 

Archived