Scenario Favorites

What the title says. I'm looking for your favorite scenarios, from any WFB editions up through AoS. Doesn't matter if its Narrative, Match Play, Open, Skirmish, or even from 1st edition WFB. Even homebrew, Mordeheim, White Dwarf, etc are good. The ones you enjoy(ed) the most.

Please comment about it and describe how the scenario worked and why its one of your favorites.

Here's mine:

One of my favorites came in the small 6th edition skirmish book for WFB called "Bridging the Gap".

The attackers had to get across a dangerous river with the bridge out and you could either risk sending troops through it or cut down trees from a nearby forrest and make either a single log or multi log bridge. This was shown in the booklet by actual wire bundled sticks made to look like logs.

The defenders tried to prevent any enemies from crossing.

20170412_164650.thumb.jpg.f85fb0243dbee08ed81bfdd5f5484fd6.jpg

So, what's yours?

- Cedric

I know it's not WFB or AoS but Da Chase from GorkaMorka has got to be the single greatest scenario GW have ever published. One gang of orks is harassing raiding another's vehicle convoy as they race through the desert with a fresh haul of archotech. To represent the chase speeding through miles of desert everything on the board that's not a vehicle pointing forward (including terrain) is yanked 6" backwards towards the edge of the board until it eventually falls off at the start of each turn. I'd love to have a go at adapting it for AoS for two very specific forces (possibly Beastclaws and Gore-Gruntas?)

The drunken dwarfs scenario from Grudge of Drong has always been a firm WFB favourite, even if the Dwarf player doesn't have a lot of agency after deployment! Also Siege. :D

AoS wise the cluster bombing of new battleplans after launch with the Realmgate Wars books proved a bit of a hit and miss with some instant classics, some duds and a few that needed a fair bit of restriction on what each player could take for the game to be enjoyable (I'm looking at you battleplans that involve killing off the enemy general to win). Hold or Die prior to the release of the General's Handbook was a great way of introducing new players to the game, with a lot of tactical impact placed on the defender's choice of deployment and the attacker having to concentrate on wearing down the defender's starting force.

Balance of Power had a particularly strong hand of battleplans, with almost all of them being great, and very replayable; consumed is a much better reworking of the Ritual from the original Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending War, the two games where you've got to transport a relic hidden in one of your units that gets a buff when you reveal it off the board are great, and the one with Archaon chasing down a Gaunt Summoner across zig zag Realm of Battle boards is inspired. I'm an old school siege fiend and had a lot of fun with all the scenarios involving a Chaos Dreadhold at a Warhammer World campaign weekend last year (especially the one where both sides fight over opening and closing a gate) and should really get round to picking up and painting one.

A lot of the Battletome battleplans are great at capturing the character of their race and how and why they wage war, and the most exciting part of the Kharadron book for me right now is the five (five!) battleplans it's gonna have in it, hopefully with a strong emphasis on plunder, grudges and exploration.:D The recently retired Bloodbound battletome battleplans really stood out for me and are immensely replayable and challenging, in particular Relentless Assault; I think I've played each twice. I'm really looking forward to giving the two new ones in the Blades of Khorne book a go too, especially the one where each side's got to take out a random enemy hero to gain victory points before they can move on to another. Who knew Khorne and innovative scenarios went so well together?! The Fyreslayer battleplan where they're advancing through a Vampire Queen's tomb, divided into the separate sections on a Realm of Battle board, complete with zombies falling from the ceiling sounds nuts, has anyone tried it?

I've always enjoyed The Ritual from the very first AoS Big Bumper Book Of Fun. There's something very dramatic about charging your army up the board long-ways in a desperate race against time. I like to add lots of scenery and choke points for extra tension.

Archived