Equipping the Ardboyz!

Chris Tomlin

I had the same problem and came with a combination that performed very good on my lasts games:

20 ardboys

- Boss w/ Big choppa

- Drummer w/ Big choppa

- Standard bearer w/ Orruk banner + big choppa

- 2x boyz w/ Choppa + shield

- 10x boyz w/ Choppa + smasha

- 5x boyz w/ Big choppa

This way I have 16 rend -1 attacks (never underestimate a good placed rend -1 attack) and 34 normal attacks. Accompanied by a warchanter, this unit is nuts. The two shield boyz are there just for a bit of damage mitigation, but maybe I'll change them for two more dual-wield boyz.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm putting together a unit of 10 now which is from an 8th WHFB box.  FYI, you can only get 8 choppas and smashas out of the box unless you include a drummer.  Then you get 9.

Totally works for me as I think that the big choppa mace/morning star and double bladed axe look pretty awesome anyway.  As a result, my default will 2 big choppa, 5 choppa and smasha, and 3 command that will typically be run as choppa and smasha (8/2).  However, the command can always be run as big choppa to give me 5/5.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I'm putting together a unit of 10 now which is from an 8th WHFB box.  FYI, you can only get 8 choppas and smashas out of the box unless you include a drummer.  Then you get 9.

Totally works for me as I think that the big choppa mace/morning star and double bladed axe look pretty awesome anyway.  As a result, my default will 2 big choppa, 5 choppa and smasha, and 3 command that will typically be run as choppa and smasha (8/2).  However, the command can always be run as big choppa to give me 5/5.

I prefer more big choppas. Without the hability to apply mortal wounds in any unit (except for the foot of Gork), maximising rend is the only way to win some punch with Ironjawz.

• 1 month later...

Just did some quick math-hammering. To me, choppas and smashed just seems the superior choice, with some shields thrown in. Choppas and smashas are superior when you are facing 4+ saves or worse, and are as good as big choppas against 3+ saves. Therefore, you need to be fighting 4+ rerollable or 2+ saves for the big choppas to actually be better. If I'm facing saves like that, I would not be inclined to send in the Ardboyz anyway, instead relying on Brutes/Megabosses/allied mortal wound spammers.

The shields makes you take about 16% less damage, regardless what you're facing. That means that if you exchange dual weapons for shields, you trade 33% of your damage for 16% increased survivability. For big choppas, you instead trade rend for 16% survivability. You need to put shields on 3 orcs for it to come into effect statistically - that way, when you take 6 wounds (normally killing all three), one of them is saved. I don't think the shields work against mortal wounds - abilities that do typically state so.

My conclusion is that Ardboys should be built with dual weapons, to maximize their damage output, or with shields if you want a tarpit. The twohanders need to face a save better than 3+ to be superior to dual wielders, and at that point I don't think the Ardboys should be used anyway. I do think building this unit as a horde killer or a tarpit is the best way to go, or as something in between the two. Shields should always come in groups of three - the boss can then come with choppa and smasha in a 10-man tarpit.

Edit: Sorry, seems I was beating a dead horse. All the numbers were on the previous page, while I read only the first and last page before posting. Doh.

I'm terrible at math, so please excuse me if this is a silly question, but what about this comparison?

10 Ardboyz w/dual choppas + warchanter buff and megaboss command ability (+1 to attack)

vs

10 Ardboyz w/big choppas + warchanter buff and megaboss command ability (+1 to attack)

Are the numbers still in favor of the dual choppas? Or do the numbers shift around with the buffs considered into the equation?

6 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

I'm terrible at math, so please excuse me if this is a silly question, but what about this comparison?

Are the numbers still in favor of the dual choppas? Or do the numbers shift around with the buffs considered into the equation?

In that case break even occurs vs 4+ saves, i.e. dual choppas are better against 5+ and worse, the options are equally good against 4+ saves, and big choppas are better against anything with a 3+ save or better.

Archived