Hinterlands; Oathbreakers

20170406_000657_zpsw5am4pgt.jpg

-=- The soldier in front of Arkos screamed, whether in fear or rage he could not tell, and lunged at him with a spear. The point glanced harmlessly off the towering knight's tarnished golden armour, and Arkos's eyes narrowed in cold contempt as he stepped towards the man, swinging one of his two hammers, the narrow, blunt edge of the weapon crashed into his enemy's helmet, crushing it like paper and instantly killing the man with a satisfying wet crunch. Shoving the corpse out of his way, Arkos surveyed the scene of carnage before him, as his brothers in arms finished off the last remnants of the village militia. Screams and smoke filled the air, and behind the flames of a burning hovel, he saw one of the pack of raiders that followed him roaring with laughter as he chased a peasant woman.

Arkos shuddered, the scene before him vanishing as he remembered another time, a different screaming, one of an adulating crowd as he was first presented with the weapons he had just used so brutally against his own people. He had been a different man then, so innocent, so naive. Men had called him a hero, the greatest knight in the realm. He had spent his life fighting to hold back the endless tides of darkness that threatened the kingdom he served. Fought battles and slain monsters and daemons. 
When the Storm of Sigmar had come, it had seemed that hope at last could bloom. But the shining Stormcast Eternals had come and gone like the lightning they rode, appearing for a brief instant, leaving just a dazzling afterimage of their passing.
To celebrate the newfound hope these heroes had brought, Arkos' king had commissioned a new suit of gilded armour, and a pair of elegant hammers to mimic the appearance of these heavenly knights. Before the gathered city, his king had knelt and presented them to him, proclaiming that he, Arkos, was the liberator of his people.
Arkos could recall happier moments of his old life. His marriage. The birth of his daughter. But not a prouder one, as he stood before the crowd in his dazzling new armour.

He shuddered as the vision passed, and the burning, hellish vision before him came back into focus. He wondered if these vivid recollections were a punishment from heaven, or a twisted torment from his new dark masters. It did not matter, not anymore. That man had died years ago, when he has broken the sacred oaths he had sworn. When he had embraced survival, at any cost. Even his soul.
Striding forward, Arkos casually stove in the chest of a wounded child who lay screaming in the mud. The destruction of this village would sate the appetites of his men for now, but he was in no mood to waste time indulging in diversions. There could be no rest for him, not any more. 
On the horizon, many leagues distant, azure lightning crackled across the stormy sky, and Arkos shuddered. -=-

So Age of Sigmar Hinterlands really caught my eye a month or so back. I like the AoS rules and setting, but don't really plan of getting any large armies for it. Small skirmish games are my jam though, so Hinterlands provides the perfect excuse to paint some randoms. 
Dunno if I'll get a chance to ever play with them, but I've never let that stop me.

So, anyway, I dug out some old Chaos looking dudes I've had for years and painted one tonight. Wasn't really sure about the colours, but they're growing on me. Thoughts? Opinions? I wanted to give the impression of fallen knights whose armour and weapons was reminiscent of the Stormcast.

Presenting Sir Arkos the Golden, Forsworn and Oathbreaker - Exalted Hero of Chaos

20170406_0008302_zpsv4sr5btg.jpg
20170406_0008452_zpsfg5zahyc.jpg
20170406_0007332_zps9hosevtt.jpg

Feedback and critique always welcome :)

Archived