40k player wanting to build a competitive Chaos List for AoS

spacemarine542

Hey all,

I'm completely new to AoS and am wanting to build a Chaos army in the future. I really like the looks of Khorne Bloodbound, Nurgle Rotbringers, Everchosen, and Slaves of Darkness. My local tournament scene is pretty competitive but not top end tournament competitive. They play 2000 points, is it possible to build a good competitive list out of those choices? I'm also willing to work with Nurgle and Khorne Daemons as well if that helps any.

Khorne (soon to be updated) and tzeentch (just recently) have battle tomes which are important as they provide benefits and battalions. Nurgle does not have a batta tome but they are solid, STD allow you options to overcome shortfalls in armies e.g. Chariots provide a nice speedy unit.

Battalions provide buffs and allow you to deploy all the units in a battalion in one go. I would recommend building towards a battalion and supplementing with other valid models from the same faction. 

Mixed faction armies allow you to pick and choose to overcome shortcomings in one faction but can lose other benefits.

Yes, this should be pretty easy to put together all things considered.  Both Nurgle and Khorne have multiple options, scaling from fun fluff to the highest tier of competition.  You should have lots of options when you start building an army.  I just took a Nurgle Mortal list to Adepticon (100+) and placed 10th overall (lost to the individual who placed 1st on Table 2 in the last round).  The individual who finished 9th had a Khorne mixed list I believe and Khorne will only be getting stronger in 2 weeks with the new battle tome release.

Thanks for the replies! It's good to see that all the armies I like can be competitive. I wish I could say the same for 40k lol. It's going to be awhile before I can even consider buying anything and it's probably a good thing considering units could become worse or better with the new Khorne book.

One thing that I think is almost an auto-include in a top tier competetive list is Sayl the Fateless. Can be combined with a lot of stuff, with Khorne I think the so called Bloodletter-bomb is one of the best options. (30 Bloodletters that can be whipped by a bloodstoker before Sayl moves them forward). Blood Warriors have been a good Battleline choice as have Plaguebearers I think. Maybe a summoning pool so that you can drop 10 Plaguebearers on an objective in later rounds? 

It is also good to have some long range shooting and the Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon is a really good choice.

I really appreciate the help! My thoughts on army choices were Stormcast, Death, and Chaos but I really like the Chaos Models more than the other 2. Probably didn't help that I play Chaos alot on Total War: Warhammer lol. Are Chosen good? They're my favorite unit on TW: Warhammer.

Archived