Different attack profiles in a unit

Lalejazz

Question

Hi everybody!

I was wondering, when you attack and have different weapon profiles in the same unit (eg saurus) you have to declare who is the target of each profile before attacking.

So the two profiles attacks are meant to happen at the same time or with the second i have to measure range only to the remaing models of my opponent's unit?

Thanks

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

Ooh, hang on.

Right, you have to declare target *unit* for all attacks. You don't attack specific models.

Also, no casualties are removed until ALL attacks by the attacking unit have been completed - so it doesn't matter if you roll a single attack at a time, or block-roll everything, until all attacks by all models and weapon types in the unit have been completed you don't remove casualties.

(With the exception that in a few rare cases, some abilities/weapons cause models to be removed immediately).

Think this is two questions. @BaldoBeardo answered the casualties one above (your 2nd question - basically if you are in range at the start of combat phase then you are in range, casualties are only removed when the dust settles). That's for one unit.

Multiple units works differently but the end result is the same.

All attacks are declared before you attack so if you are splitting attacks you declare so then.

You can split any which way you want (picking targets section of rules): If you have a Lord Celestant on Stardrake in combat with a unit of 10 skeletons and a unit of 30 you can say - "The celestant uses 1 blade attack on the 10 skeleton unit and 2 on the 30. The Drake uses his claws and fangs only the 30 skeleton unit"

The thing to note from picking targets is - "If a model splits its attacks between two or more enemy units, resolve all of the attacks against one unit before moving onto the next one."

So you would remove casualties from each unit in turn. It's still considered 'at the same time' though. Further (most important), you have no more attacks against that unit so it can't be out of range. You are onto the 2nd unit you declared attacks against and you were already in range of that unit to start with. No casualties have been removed from unit 2.

So again, the removal of casualties can't prevent you from attacking a unit at any time.

Just to make sure I have this correctly:

• If I attack with my zombie Dragon, and only one model of unit is range, all of the attacks are guaranteed to off? I.e. A singe, 1 health stormfiend is within range (barely one inch) and the other models of that unit are as far away as they can be. Then when i declare that all my attacks are going at the stormfiends (no other units near anyways) then he waits to resolve casualties until after I have attacked with both the dragon's claws AND the dragon's Maw?
  • However one unit is allowed to declare that is dividing up its attacks. I.e. 4 Claw Attacks & 1 Maw attack at the Stormfiends, and 2 Claw attacks & 1 Maw attack at the bloodletters.
    • Then i choose which one to roll attacks, wounds, damage (then his saves) then he removes those casualties (Say we hit stormfiends first and he loses and removes one model. Afterwards I am required to finish the attacks on the bloodletters as normal.
  • If you have a big unit of lets say 20 Tzangors, then you have to declare where their attacks are going all at once, correct?
    • Bit of a pain, but you would have to, all at once say something like:
      • 10 Beak attacks into the bloodletters. The other 5 beak attacks into the Stormfiends. 6 Greatblades into the Bloodletters, the other 2 greatblades into Stormfiends. 3 Sets of paired blades, 2 normal blades into the Bloodletters, 1 Paired Blades, 1 normal blade into Stormfiends).

4 hours ago, Bradifer said:

Just to make sure I have this correctly:

• If I attack with my zombie Dragon, and only one model of unit is range, all of the attacks are guaranteed to off? I.e. A singe, 1 health stormfiend is within range (barely one inch) and the other models of that unit are as far away as they can be. Then when i declare that all my attacks are going at the stormfiends (no other units near anyways) then he waits to resolve casualties until after I have attacked with both the dragon's claws AND the dragon's Maw?
  • However one unit is allowed to declare that is dividing up its attacks. I.e. 4 Claw Attacks & 1 Maw attack at the Stormfiends, and 2 Claw attacks & 1 Maw attack at the bloodletters.
    • Then i choose which one to roll attacks, wounds, damage (then his saves) then he removes those casualties (Say we hit stormfiends first and he loses and removes one model. Afterwards I am required to finish the attacks on the bloodletters as normal.
  • If you have a big unit of lets say 20 Tzangors, then you have to declare where their attacks are going all at once, correct?
    • Bit of a pain, but you would have to, all at once say something like:
      • 10 Beak attacks into the bloodletters. The other 5 beak attacks into the Stormfiends. 6 Greatblades into the Bloodletters, the other 2 greatblades into Stormfiends. 3 Sets of paired blades, 2 normal blades into the Bloodletters, 1 Paired Blades, 1 normal blade into Stormfiends).

Yea that is how I understand it. Hitting into a single model in a unit is enough to damage the whole unit. You split up and declare all attacks (that are inrange) as you see fit. You work them out unit per unit.

It is all simultaneous and that works both ways.  For example it means if a unit gains bonuses for slaying other models they don't trigger them for the 2nd unit if they killed some in the first.

It's for this reason that people think that there's no point in say, a wedge formation. In reality, the way to mitigate incoming attacks is reducing pile ins to your unit from the enemy - so more of their unit are out of range and as many as possible of your unit are in range.

That can be done with some unit shapes but that is another discussion though!

Archived