FEC unit question

Nightgaunt

I'd like some advice on FEC from veterans. I'm thinking of starting with a couple Start Collecting boxes since they'll give me things I want for more death stuff further down the line. Just wanted to ask some tactical questions.

1. Ghouls: I'm planning to go either ghoul patrol or abbatoir with these. What do you think are the best sizes for units in each formation?

2. Crypt Horrors: Can these be safely run in units of 3, or should I bulk them up? I'll have 6, if I go ghoul patrol I thought to just run them as one big unit.

3. Mounted Ghoul Kings: I don't plan to summon anything, so I probably won't use one as my general. I was just wondering how the terrorgheist and zombie dragon function compared to each other. Their spells seem straightforward enough, offensive vs defensive buff. Would you ever go crazy and bring both? Also.....how easy is it to magnetize the monster's heads to swap them?

Probably start with something like this From two starters plus a few extra purchases. 

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (100)

Total: 1920/2000

11 hours ago, Nightgaunt said:

I'd like some advice on FEC from veterans. I'm thinking of starting with a couple Start Collecting boxes since they'll give me things I want for more death stuff further down the line. Just wanted to ask some tactical questions.

1. Ghouls: I'm planning to go either ghoul patrol or abbatoir with these. What do you think are the best sizes for units in each formation?

2. Crypt Horrors: Can these be safely run in units of 3, or should I bulk them up? I'll have 6, if I go ghoul patrol I thought to just run them as one big unit.

3. Mounted Ghoul Kings: I don't plan to summon anything, so I probably won't use one as my general. I was just wondering how the terrorgheist and zombie dragon function compared to each other. Their spells seem straightforward enough, offensive vs defensive buff. Would you ever go crazy and bring both? Also.....how easy is it to magnetize the monster's heads to swap them?

I bring both mounted ghoul kings and I find it awesome. I use the GKoTG to summon ok, but anyway it's really useful to use as model.

It's quite easy to magnetize them. I have to realize a video about it.  Anyway the real part that need to be magnetized are the wings to male easier moving the models.

On 3/20/2017 at 5:13 PM, Countmoore said:

Probably start with something like this From two starters plus a few extra purchases. 

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (100)

Total: 1920/2000

That's an interesting list. Why do you bring the ghouls in those numbers, I know they regenerate but is 10 enough if they're snwaking in with Ghoul Patrol? What role does the single unit of 30 play?

The 30 is big enough to remain a threat even if it takes a hit or two. The two 10s I use as objective grabbers and usually stay safe as there are enough other threats to keep the opponent busy. 

Units of 20 I don't feel can do either role as well as loses punch too quick and is too many points to sit out the game. 

Archived