Drakkfoot Warclan 1,500pts

bonzai

Hey all. 

I have been looking for an alternative to kunning rukks, and I am seriously considering running a Drakkfoot Warclan. I am thinking about running something like;

Kopp Rukk
Wardokk
Wardokk
Wardokk
10 morboys 
10 morboys

Snagga Rukk
Maniak wierdnob 
Maniak wierdnob 
5 boarboy maniaks
5 boarboy maniaks

10 savage orruks
Wurrgog Prophet 
Drakkfoot Warclan

Total: 1460/1500

Here are my thoughts... The Drakkfoot Warclan gives my the bloodwaagh spell to all my casters. This spell let's a unit pile in and attack as if it was the combat phase. This is also what the command ability of the Wurgog does. So the idea is that something like the boar boy maniacs can potentially get 4 attacks in a turn, 3 for the moreboys.

The list has 6 casters, so it's going to be spell intensive. The bloodwaagh has a casting value of 8, but the Kopp Rukk helps add the the casting value, as well as good rolls on the wardokk's ritual dances. They will be an important source of mortal wounds as well as buffing the units.

My main concern? Not enough bodies! Even though I can get multiple pile ins off, I'm not sure if I am going to be able to generate enough wounds from these small units.

I could also use some feedback and suggestions for command traits and artifacts. The Wurrgog is going to be the general for his nice command ability. Then I get 3 more artifacts from the battalions. I am thinking of squirmy warpaint and Glowin Tatooz for the Wurrgog. This will give him a 4+ save/4+ ward to help keep him upright. Other than that I was thinking of the savage trophy and big Wurrgog mask. Not sure what the last one should be.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms?

I like it. Not enough bodies for sure so you'll have to play smart. Your hero phase will take a little bit of time with all the spell throwing. But I think you'll have access to every spell? could be really good. Probably a stronger build in 2000 points, more bodies. 
I'm not sure exactly which artifacts I'd use. Does this get you 2 or 3 of them? I'd put the Wurrgrog mask on a Maniack Weirsnob to move it around to go hunt down a strong enemy character or monster, something I didn't want to mess with in combat or who was giving buffs. 
I'm less sure Savage trophy will be as useful with so few models at first it might seem important but I'm not 100% sure. 
I'll be interested to see how this list does.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I can learn every spell in this list. I think I get 4 artifacts total. One normally, and one for each battalion. Good advice on the mask, thank you.

For the jump to 2k, I am thinking about a Teef Rukk with 2 units of 4 big stabbas, and another 10 savage orruks. I can't fit another Hero in until 2.5k, otherwise a small kunning rukk would have been nice, but I see a lot of synergy with the big stabbas and the bonus pile ins.

I was asking my opponent last game I played about how to add Big Stabbas. We agreed that small units were better, they're less likely to run off. I mean if I have 4 and fail by enough I loose too much killing power as a Stabba team decides to flee. More mobs of 2 keeps more of them on the table fighting for you. I'n larger games I'd even look at adding more boys, Boar boys and Maniack Boar boys. That puts some beef, or pork, in the list and some flexibility to stick and move and grab objectives. 
So far the least useful Hero in my games has been the Big Boss. He has to be protected and is too squishy for me, but I'm a total Noob still. With 3 Wardokks dancing around you stand a good chance of keeping characters and multi wounders up, which is something I'll keep in mind to try in the furure. I'd add the small kunning rukk. in big games. seems sound. I think 20 or more savage boys reroll to wound(?) which will also work well with all your zones of buffs. 

My thoughts on the big stabbas was that a unit of 2 will average one wound per combat phase. With a unit of 4, they will go up to 2-3 on average. This is a bigger impact, and gets better with buffs as more would be affected by spells and abilities at a time. If I time it right that unit of 4 could pile in 4 times in a turn, which really starts making a difference.

i can't do a Kunning Rukk until 2,500 points, as I am capped out on Heros until then.

1 hour ago, bonzai said:

My thoughts on the big stabbas was that a unit of 2 will average one wound per combat phase. With a unit of 3, they will go up to 2-3 on average. This is a bigger impact, and gets better with buffs as more would be affected by spells and abilities at a time. If I time it right that unit of 4 could pile in 4 times in a turn, which really starts making a difference.

i can't do a Kunning Rukk until 2,500 points, as I am capped out on Heros until then.

I guess I'd ask is that taking rerolls into account? It of course depends on where the Manick Weirdnob is and what your more concerned with. I play a fairly static blob of units set up to use as many buffs as they can and have other units for maneuver. 
Again I've not played more than four games so far but have played 40K for 20 years so my thought processes lean more towards going with what I know and changing how I think to fit AoS. I'm sure there's loads and loads I don't know yet. You could very well be right about a larger unit. My only thoughts were the battleshock tests negatively effecting the unit. My very first thoughts when looking at Big Stabbas were fire and forget. run them up do damage and hope they die, inflicting mortal wounds.

I guess play around with the unit and see what's best for your play style. 

Archived