TO's Tournament Scoring, Swiss and Pairings?

JustPlay-Ritchie

Hey all

interested in some facts and opinions from you all.

I am making these assumptions from my initial feedback 

• Swiss is the most commonly used pairings and most commonly in 20-0 (or whatever numbers) system you guys pair on Tournament Points (TP) not wins
  • Most often this is done on ranking (1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc) however your excel spreadsheet or Tournament Software produce this randomly or using your Tie Breakers.

So a few questions

• If you don't already and could pair your event using the Swiss system efficiently and correctly would you do so? Ie after round one players would play another random player on the same TP.
  • Painting scores, List submission and other soft scores do you add them at the end of the event or at the end of R1? Ie do they effect your pairings for each round or just to decide the winner at the end.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to feed this back to me.

Hi @JustPlay-Ritchie,

Every matched play event or tournament I have ever attended/run for Warhammer is organised round by round (after the first of course) by Swiss pairings.

Personally I always add soft scores at the end of my events, as I don't want the Swiss draw being skewed by painting etc.

Pretty much all events I have attended have also followed suit with this. Though it's possible the "Rate the guy" soft scores at the recent Sheffield Slaughter were factor into the draw, I'm not 100% on that though.

Just now, Chris Tomlin said:

Hi @JustPlay-Ritchie,

Every matched play event or tournament I have ever attended/run for Warhammer is organised round by round (after the first of course) by Swiss pairings.

Personally I always add soft scores at the end of my events, as I don't want the Swiss draw being skewed by painting etc.

Pretty much all events I have attended have also followed suit with this. Though it's possible the "Rate the guy" soft scores at the recent Sheffield Slaughter were factor into the draw, I'm not 100% on that though.

Thanks Chris 

To dig further round by round Randomly ? IE all 20-0's play another random 20-0 player R2 or they paired in standings order because of lack of a efficient random function?

3 hours ago, JustPlay-Ritchie said:

Thanks Chris 

To dig further round by round Randomly ? IE all 20-0's play another random 20-0 player R2 or they paired in standings order because of lack of a efficient random function?

Usually you would use Kill Points (ie Warscroll points killed) or some other method as a secondary sort.

I believe true swiss is a completely random allocation on record (i could be wrong) - so for example round 2 = all 20-0s play another 20-0 independent of any tie breakers i.e kill points. 

The problem with this is we'll never play enough rounds to have a clear winner over a weekend at the decent size events without using tie breakers at some point.

One benefit I could see though is its harder to just know who has won the event after the final round, it means table 1 is no longer the top table as it seems at most events but could add (although arguably artificially) a bit of suspense come presentations.

3 hours ago, Foz said:

One benefit I could see though is its harder to just know who has won the event after the final round, it means table 1 is no longer the top table as it seems at most events but could add (although arguably artificially) a bit of suspense come presentations.

Yeh this would create a bit of suspense for sure, so is definitely not without merit and something I would like to see trialled. However I think the prestige associated with being on table one in the latter/final rounds is something people really enjoy.

Some magic the gathering tournaments use opponents scores as a tie breaker, so if you have 5 wins and a loss, and the wins and loss are against players that finished highly, you finish higher than someone that had 5 wins and a loss against players that finished lower down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived