New player, carry case recomendations?

Nubl0

Hello all, I'm pretty new to AoS and GW games in general having not really played since 3rd ed 40k. One thing I have noticed is while the models are more awesome than ever they are HOOOGE?! Now I just got myself a tzeentch army (I know bandwagoner) but having not taken my driving test yet Im kinda finding it hard to get stuff to games with my current lil backpack. I actually have a larger KR backpack but the cases dont actually fit stuff like the new Lord of change without breaking. Also doesnt fit my stardrake at all. 

So anyone got any good recomendations for carrying cases that are nice and can actually hold one or two of these gigantic monsters? Much appreciated.

I feel your pain. On one hand, I adore all of these sweet new plastics, and I love working on a big awesome monster after powering through a unit of 20 infantry, but they are definitely a bit of a pain to store and transport.

As of now, I've got an old school Bloodthirster, a Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror and a Stardrake that all need some form of transport. While the Stardrake is quite plastic and compact, the Warlord is bendy, snappable resin with a big pole sticking up, meaning it needs something that'll hold it snug and tight without rattling.

My current attempt at a solution, and I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives, is Battlefoam Small Pluck Foam. They only go to a maximum of 4" tall though, so what I've done is ordered them in 3" deep pairs - my plan being to pluck/cut the foam to fit the bottom and the top halves of my minis and only expose what needs to, and stick them over the big things like a clam. It's not an inexpensive solution, and their bags are also ridiculously priced, but I've slanted towards Battlefoam ever since I found an in-box foam tray for my Silver Tower minis, so I like to stick to a consistent size. With these, I can stick two Small Trays next to each other and they'll stack flush with my Battlefoam Large trays the rest of my armies are on.

You might be able to get something similar to work with KR pluck foam, although I hear KR is softer and less rigid which may not be ideal in this one use case, but I don't have any experience with that personally.

Good luck - and if you find a good solution, please keep me posted!

If you're not averse to it, you can buy a Really Useful Box, some neodymium magnets from eBay, and some self adhesive rubber steel sheeting to stick the to bottom and walls of the really useful box. 

Rubber Steel Sheeting: http://ebay.eu/2mc3e3G

Magnets: http://ebay.eu/2lFCz1B

Really Useful Boxes (cheaper from Ryman Stationers): http://ebay.eu/2mc4a8g

It'll cost you a fraction of the cost of a transport case, and you'll find it a lot easier to pack and remove models without them snapping on foam. It's also a lot faster to pack and unpack models onto the table. 

All magnets should be 2mm thick and set into milliput or greenstuff. This helps the magnet become flush with the bottom of the base and it adds strength to the bond. 

25mm Bases require a 2mm Magnet
32 - 40mm Bases require a 3mm Magnet
50mm - 60mm bases require 2x 3mm Magnets

Larger Monsters on Ovals or rounds should use 6mm Magnets at various points across their base to keep them stable. A Treelord Ancient will use a magnet at either long end of his base for example. 

In terms of labour, it's about an hours work to get a 2k army magnetised in this way. 

1 hour ago, RossMHoward said:

If you're not averse to it, you can buy a Really Useful Box, some neodymium magnets from eBay, and some self adhesive rubber steel sheeting to stick the to bottom and walls of the really useful box. 

How does that work once you fill the first box? Do they stack together? It seems like you'd have a load of separate boxes to cart about. Or can you fit a lot into one box?

1 hour ago, fartsocks said:

How does that work once you fill the first box? Do they stack together? It seems like you'd have a load of separate boxes to cart about. Or can you fit a lot into one box?

Well in a 9litre I have 2k of Sylvaneth, in an 11 I have about 2.5k of Flesheater Courts, including two Terrorgheists and a Mourngul. You can fit more models into a smaller space than a carry case, as you can use all sides of the case to place models. 

In both cases, I have the bottom filled with the larger units, and then the walls are used for infantry. 

Are you talking about filling boxes in terms of individual armies? Or a single army requiring multiple boxes?

If the latter, you work out what size box you need for your army and then it's job done. Chuck it in your wardrobe or under your bed when you're not using it. In almost all cases, your biggest model will dictate how big a box you'll need. I bought an 11litre for my FEC as I knew it's interior dimensions would fit two Terrorgheists laying length ways and magnetised to the North and South walls at either end. A box that size then has ample space left over on every surface for the remainder of the army. 

With the Sylvaneth, I worked out how much vertical space I needed for my Treelord Ancient to be stood upright and that was a 9litre. Again, incidentally there was ample space left over for the rest of the army. 

For transport, either carry it loud and proud or stick it in a duffle bag

A baking tray would be a better bet, or any kind of ferrous metal sheeting.  As magnets bond to these very strongly you could even drop down the magnet size in a lot of cases as they'd grip a lot better. 

The reason I listed Rubber Steel Sheeting is because they're self adhesive and easy to cut to size, so anybody with a pair of scissors can achieve this. 

But it's important to use Rubber Steel Sheeting over Flexible Magnetic Sheeting, as Flexible Magnetic Sheeting loses it's magnetism in areas where a magnet is in direct contact with it. Like dead pixels on a smartphone. Over time, most of my old magnetic movement trays went through this. 

4 hours ago, RossMHoward said:

Well in a 9litre I have 2k of Sylvaneth, in an 11 I have about 2.5k of Flesheater Courts, including two Terrorgheists and a Mourngul. You can fit more models into a smaller space than a carry case, as you can use all sides of the case to place models. 

In both cases, I have the bottom filled with the larger units, and then the walls are used for infantry. 

Cool thanks, I hadn't considered using the walls.

Archived