Saproling's WIP extravaganza! Currently: Painting so many Aelfs.

Saproling

Got my copy of Spire of Dawn and have set about assembling them with haste and much excitement- never picked up the set while it was the Island of Blood but I do like these models. Also picked up the newer gold paints and they work a treat! Tested them on an older metal mage that's been sitting around for a bit- it's pretty much why I'm here with Aelves :D

Not sure on colour scheme just yet, I'm thinking sea-green with silver armour and something to contrast, but at the same time I want to emulate the classic HE scheme.

All C+C's are welcome!

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

21 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Make sure you throw in enough gold or some other hot color to balance the seagreen (cold) and silver (cold). The best outcome usually lands when the army has that balance (exceptions apply). :)

Good luck! I am currently painting these too ^^

ooo that's a good tip! Thanks I think that might be wrong with a test model I'm painting. 

Update time! After having my first 'show you the ropes' game of Age of Sigmar, I'm happy as hell that I decided to give it a proper look in. So much fun! Also the Aelves are fast. Ludicrous Speed fast.

No pictures at the moment as everything's primed white but I do need some help choosing colours for the cloth. I'm a little leery of the typical high elf blue, but am unsure on what else to pick. So far, I've got a few ideas:

• Suck it up and go blue
  • Yellow
  • Pure green
  • Sea Green - not sure how to highlight/shade this one
  • Pastel purple as a shade, with almost-white purple being the main colour. Sort of how Bottle did his/her Allarielle model but exchanging green for purple. If Bottle's on this forum, I've gotta ask how it was done.
  • Same as above but with pastel yellow.

I mainly want to not have the typical HE colours and put my own spin on the force, but at the same time I want to show that these Aelves are from the realm of Light.

Any help would be appreciated, as I get stuck at this stage in army building quite often :(

Finally decided on a scheme- pastel purple it is! Popped into my nearest GW on the way to work and picked up Dechala Lilca and Dameonette hide paint two novels, Mortarch of night and the City of Secrets in addition to the White dwarf for Feb. Getting stuck into AoS like an Orc into da fight.

Dechala lilac is a lovely pastel that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Test Aelf seems to rock it well. The gold barding contrasts nicely though I'll add more gold to break things up a bit.

IMG_1360.JPG

Update time!

The paint is flowing and now all my reavers are rocking the pastel purple (at least, the base coat) and gold lining has been started. I never got these when they were the Island of Blood, but I'm impressed at how much there is to paint, and paint neatly!

There's a bit more contrast between the shades and highlights, gotta find myself a better light source *shakes fist at sun* But the recipe for the purple is:

• Prime white
  • Basecoat in Dechala lilac
  • Shade with daemonette hide, blending into the lilac
  • highlight with 50/50 mix ulthuan grey/dechala lilac
  • further highlight with 75/25 ulthuan grey/dechala lilac
  • further highlight with uthuan grey

I'm gonna take it up to white on the most extreme cases though I'd be just as happy with them at that stage.

Might start on the spireguard just to get the painted mini count up! :P I feel like I'm going too slow!

All C+C welcome!

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

The sarge's fish helm was fun to paint, loving how Retributor armour covers. Blending so many paints for the shields and working on getting more things painted or at least, partially painted. Really should've signed up here under "Aelfy McAelfson" but whatchagonnado? :P

Got a question though, should I shade the sash with druchii violet or with daemonette hide mixed with lahmian medium?

C+C welcome as always! :D

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Ok, thanks for that. Wanted to do a gradient for the sky and water to give some realism but you're right in that it's currently overpowering the purple. Gonna hit them with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol to clean off the paint and try again.

Following Lysandestolpe's advice, and looking again after some sleep, the shields were definitely overpowering the purple. Looking at everything I'm gonna have to go a bronze/tin bitz colour for the main armour as that'll contrast with the purple and make it pop. Shields were stripped and re-done with P3's frostbite, followed by dilute GW's blue glaze (Can't spell Roboute's surname for the life of me). The water it still WIP, as are the serpents but I'm liking the blue- it feels more night-time than anything. Plus doing the sky gradient is time-consuming :P

Other cloth is gonna be done in Menoth white base/highlight as the former is a yellow-white, which again will contrast with the purple.

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

I'm also a Judicator now! :D

Hey Crow,

I'm 100% sure I'm not going to go ahead with the purple anymore as I'm just not feeling it- fizzled on it due to the spireguard shields. Gonna go with a jade secondary colour and white cloth, straight out of pg35 of the 6e High Elf army book. Should have better results with at least one pic of the scheme plus referring to the citadel painting guides

7 hours ago, Saproling said:

Hey Crow,

I'm 100% sure I'm not going to go ahead with the purple anymore as I'm just not feeling it- fizzled on it due to the spireguard shields. Gonna go with a jade secondary colour and white cloth, straight out of pg35 of the 6e High Elf army book. Should have better results with at least one pic of the scheme plus referring to the citadel painting guides

I like the purple but I can see where your coming from to save you a load of pain could you just try painting over one, I think you could highlight that purple up with grey and white, that would give you a pinky grey finish either way do a test model, finished mine last night just got basing to do then I will post some pics for you.

Boom! New scheme with jade green as the secondary cloth colour works a treat! Sure these are Shadow Warriors, but hey, the previous problem was using the purple as the primary cloth colour. This time I'm sticking with jade green and so on. Expect some progress but it'll be slow! There's so many stages to painting things now xD That or I've become more discerning about my painting!

Enjoy!

All C+C welcome. Gotta start and finish an assignment (studying, currently on placement) tomorrow so might be able to finish off the first 5 of 20 of these dudes/dudettes in the afternoon. Do the Sisters of Averlorn heads fit with the front folds of the cloak? Wouldn't mind mixing up the warriors instead of 20 full-helmed elves.

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

Archived