Giving AOS a try, advice needed

Nightgaunt

Hi everyone. I played Fantasy ages ago and just recently got back into tabletop gaming, watched some people play Age of Sigmar and I'm thinking of giving it a try. I'm reading the rules online, and understand they added points values for competitive play and such. I see the warscrolls and such available online, are the point values and rules for building an army for competitive play all in the General's Handbook? Are battletomes just rules/points/background for new stuff they introduce? I was also reading there's a second edition Handbook coming out, is the general idea to update it on a regular cycle to address balance issues? I kind of got that impression reading some threads but wasn't sure.

Also, totally unrelated, but did any of the other human gods survive the End Times? Ulfric, Morr, Myrmidia, etc? Just curious, I'm kind of catching up on all the lore since I haven't been around it in many years.

Hello! Whereabouts are you? There might be other people on here who are about and could play?

Yes, you basically have it right

1. Points and scenarios are in the generals handbook. It looks like this will be update each year to balance the points, hopefully add scenarios etc. But we've not had absolute definitive confirmation this is what will happen,  but it's as close as you can get without them saying. It will definitely include new points values, the questions are around the other stuff.

2. Battletomes are warscrolls for units, warscrolls for battalions and fluff. You can get the first of these for free in the app. The second you can get as one off purchases in the app, or in the book. The third you can only get in the book. My advice would be for your first few games just to use the app - the battalions are great but not essential.

im sorry I'm not up on my end times fluff...

Thanks TerrorPenguin. I'm from South Florida, and the people at my local store are a pretty friendly bunch so I'm going to ask if they'll let me play some demo games. Honestly they tend to jump at the chance to introduce someone to a new game and love getting new players, I just haven't had a chance to get in there for a few weeks and got curious.

If I could ask one more question, what exactly is a battalion? I've read references several times, are they like a formation kind of thing where you take particular units and get a benefit for doing so?

32 minutes ago, Nightgaunt said:

Thanks TerrorPenguin. I'm from South Florida, and the people at my local store are a pretty friendly bunch so I'm going to ask if they'll let me play some demo games. Honestly they tend to jump at the chance to introduce someone to a new game and love getting new players, I just haven't had a chance to get in there for a few weeks and got curious.

If I could ask one more question, what exactly is a battalion? I've read references several times, are they like a formation kind of thing where you take particular units and get a benefit for doing so?

Yes, it's a group of units that you take in order to get some special benefits. In AOS, unlike 40K, batallions cost points - so no free abilities or stuff, which makes them better balanced.

So, for example the ghoul patrol batallion consists of 3 units of ghouls and 1 ghoul courtier. It costs 100 points (in addition to the unit costs) and allows you to hold back the deployment of some of the units and restore d6 ghouls to the ghoul units each turn

6 hours ago, Nightgaunt said:

Thanks TerrorPenguin. I'm from South Florida

Be more specific,  friend.  I am in Southwest Florida.  Parrish area - which puts me in striking distance of Sarasota,  Bradenton,  Tampa,  Brandon,  St Petersburg, and Clearwater.

Outside of that, I like the Path to Glory campaign in the General's Handbook for newer players.  Especially if everyone involved rolls their warbands randomly.

Some people complain that it's "not balanced," but to those people I say, "so what?"

Deciding your warband to to fate will make you play with a lot of models you've never even considered, and if you're lookingto start a new army, it's a cool way to decide on some of your starting units.

SR 70 would take me straight there, but it's about a 2.5 hour drive.

If your area's events regularly hit 12+ people, let me know.  For a big enough event, I'll make the drive.

Also - you are number 4 from Florida that I've counted so far.  @wayniac is from north of Clearwater  (Wesley Chapel or Zephyrhills, I think he said...) and @Dabra is in the Gainesville area.

Damn Florida for being so large that it is prohibitive to meet up.

On 11/02/2017 at 5:03 AM, Nightgaunt said:

Also, totally unrelated, but did any of the other human gods survive the End Times? Ulfric, Morr, Myrmidia, etc? Just curious, I'm kind of catching up on all the lore since I haven't been around it in many years.

What happened to most of the gods is pretty vague, but Ulric and Morr specifically are dead, dead dead. Morr got eaten by nagash and Ulric was killed as part of teclis's world saving master plan (how's that working out for you, asshat??). Shallya was alive and well by the end of glottkin iirc but I think the hunter god (taal?) bit the dust in that book. 

Your army could still worship any of em though, Khaine was explicitly very dead but his cults are still going strong in AoS times. 

10 hours ago, Criti said:

SR 70 would take me straight there, but it's about a 2.5 hour drive.

If your area's events regularly hit 12+ people, let me know.  For a big enough event, I'll make the drive.

Also - you are number 4 from Florida that I've counted so far.  @wayniac is from north of Clearwater  (Wesley Chapel or Zephyrhills, I think he said...) and @Dabra is in the Gainesville area.

Damn Florida for being so large that it is prohibitive to meet up.

Tampa, but play in Wesley Chapel :P

Archived