New Tzeentch stuff has a narrative focus?

So I wrote in a previous thread over concern we could see more and more time and priority given to matched play. But does the latest Tzeentch stuff change that?

Firstly, the army could be a nightmare to use with all abilities in matched due to the amount of reinforcement points you'll need to use. Pink horrors to blue? Reinforcement points. Blue to infernal? Same again.

A lot of the army's abilities also work on creating chaos spawn from things, which again requires pre-payment on reinforcement points. It's all a lot of points to commit for situational benefit.

But then there are also a couple of abilities which are difficult and impossible.

The tzaangor shaman has a unique spell for doing d3 wounds, and then each model slain from that damage you "set up a new" tzaangor.

Due to the wording, those will absolutely cost you reinforcement points as you are not resurrecting something, but creating a new unit. Worse still, there's no such thing as a unit of 1, 2, or 3 Tzaangors in matched play, meaning that every time you want to utilise this element of the spell, you pay full points for a unit of 5, even though you're not getting 5, because that's how that works in matched.

Finally, the same shaman has an ability to cast a second spell in a turn 'even the same one, again'. This second part is impossible under matched play as it breaches the three rules of one, which auto rejects the same spell being cast twice in a turn.

So for matched play, I guess you can take other stuff, or just accept that you will pay a very high price to use all of those abilities, but for narrative it's no problem. I actually look forward to seeing the russian doll horrors on the field :)

At the very least I think this shows us that GW are still keeping narrative and free games in mind :)

• 3 months later...

It does, but it does not matter since for most people, matched play is the "only" way to play, so you'll never get those things off without being screwed.  GW has to support all three styles, but this has the problem of rendering some really cool abilities absolutely useless in the majority of games because "muh balance" and "it's not fair"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived