Starting out 1000pts!

Kuwanger23

Hey guys and gals,

I have been playing warhammer fantasy and 40k for over 19 years now.  I never really got into AoS due to time constraints in life (job, store, baby), you know, the usual stuff ;)

My store is starting an escalation league and I am working on my first 1000pts.  Now I have chosen undead over Chaos because, well let's be honest it was a tough choice, but in the end my fav video games were castlevania's and I love undead.  I do also love chaos.  It was hard because there are soooo many options for both.  

With undead I have soul blight, I can run a bunch of ghostly things like Spirit hosts and hex wraiths, monsters, hordes of zombies, ghouls, and skellys.  The options are amazing and I can mix and match as I see fit.  Plus I am going to have a lot of fun painting them.  I just hope Undead still do it for me on the table.  

To start out I am going to be doing a fun skeleton horde list for 1000pts.  I have access to whatever, so keep that in mind for suggestions.  I will not do tombkings and do not have the time for conversions right now so that is the only real thing that is off the table.  

My delema is getting the necromancer in the list.  Here are my options:

40 skeletons spears/sheilds 320pts
40 Skeletons spears/shields 320pts
10 Grave guard 160pts
1 wight king w/banner 120pts
1 cairn wraith, banshee, or isabella 60-80pts

Isabella gives me magic, wraith gives me some hitting power, banshee is a cool model to paint lol.  

Now If I really want that vanhels dance macabe it's 120pts for that necromancer.  My options are as follows:

1) drop a skelly down to 30 insert necro in place of one of the later characters
2) drop GG in place of Black knights insert necro in place of one of the later characters

What do you guys think?  The black knights are good attrition but without giving them buffs they seem kinda lack luster on the field?  I dunno.  Very cool models though.  Which might be enough to do it for me.  

Thoughts?  Comments?  Free hot wings?  

I would keep the grave guard, but acknowledge that it will be slow with everything having a 4" move. Black knights would be good for some mobility, but I do like the grave guard.

My experience is that with two big units of skellies you are not going to get as many into combat as you think, I would be happy dropping one down to 30.

Also, if it is a store league - I would just try all of these variations and see what you like the style of better - if this is possible?  

Archived