The future of compendium warscrolls

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

8 pages means there's a lot of valid feeling behind this but given the melodrama and occasional bitterness on each side and the relatively trivial seed for this debate, I don't think ppl are going to get what they want out of it.

Like I think no one will end up feeling happy.

So if I was offering advice that people were taking, I'd abandon this thread and reforge the strong feelings you guys might have into more constructive threads, better arguments or even projects or endeavours that work more towards what you envision your own personal hobby looking like in 2017 and beyond.

Just my opinion!

Amen to that.

My initial reaction to the announcement was annoyance - I think my own chosen alliance suffers more than others from this - but then I realise I'm not going and even if I was I'm never going to be near the top tables, and quite honestly if I do want to be near the top tables I need to invest money in whatever the meta is at the moment and that's just the way it is. 

Yes, if you disagree with this you do need to do more than just boycott to have your voice heard. Get out there and do stuff - organise your own event, matched, narrative whatever. Make it better than SCGT, make it different. GW have stated over and over again there are three ways to play this game - there's more than three there's as many as you want - play them, make them equally as valid as the ultra competitive tournaments. Look at RAW and Realm Hoppers - people want to go to different stuff.

Don't make an event - put your efforts into your local group - make strong lists, fluffy lists, good games, find good people. Play whatever you like every week. 

Don't like what some podcasters are saying - make your own podcast. The AOS podcast scene is full of podcasts with 'hobby section' ; 'games section' ; 'news section' (not knocking these). Do something different. Do one epic battle report as a mini-audio drama. If you can't make your own podcast find ones that you like that offer a patreon page and support those.

The pro-compendium people are not going to convince the anti-compendium people and vice versa. Choose life etc. Stop moaning about it on the internet.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love you too Chris.

I did say the poll was set up for funsies guys. Twitter is limited to 4 options but yeah, it wasn't wholly unbiased and is why I said it's not to be taken seriously. But I suppose I also set it up to see if there was a divide and judging by this thread alone, there is one.

It may have unintentionally been fear mongering, but I personally think that's good as it shows we care about this topic enough and with the parallels to the referendum, we shouldn't let hate dictate our actions but instead use it to look at it sensibly & as respectful adults.

Which is the main point of the msg (not the poll) that seems to have been ignored. Ah well.

In any case, agree that this thread is reaching its end.

Deciphered from the whispers of our missing god Slaanesh

5 minutes ago, Thornshield said:

Twitter is limited to 4 options but yeah, it wasn't wholly unbiased and is why I said it's not to be taken seriously.

You should have worded the poll like this :P

"Do you support the removal of Compendium scrolls at Matched Play tournaments, knowing that it will improve the competitive gaming scene. Please RT."

Because that is not at all biased :P

I agree, this thread is surely at its end. 

I started it because I felt people were being disenfranchised without due consideration. 

All that seems to be happening is that those disenfranchised players are now being dismissed as irrelevant for numerous reasons or  worse, ridiculed. Whatever helps people sleep at night I guess. 

Harm is being done to players people don't care about and are not traditionally vocal on forums like this or twitter. Because people don't care about them, it's ok to dismiss them as not 'real' gamers or whatever. I'm not talking about folks who take the latest TK 'filth', I'm talking of people who want to run wanderers, duardin, empire or brets with half a chance of a decent game. Disenfranchising them is ok if it makes events better for the top 10% who don't like to see TK in events? I'd say that's simply not fair. 

Play your own game, start your own event, do your own thing. These are comments that are unhelpful at best and spiteful at worst. If these players want to take part in the tournament scene, very often their only gaming opportunity is hours away from their homes and voting with their feet would mean not playing at all. 

Sadly, rather than help to alleviate that harm, this thread I started is clearly doing more harm than good to a community that is clearly divided on this issue. 

if I can make one request, after asking mods to close this thread down, please don't make fun of or ridicule people just because you don't agree with them. I've seen too much of that. 

Mods, if you're listening, surely this thread has run its course and has little left to contribute before more people get upset. 

18 minutes ago, Jamie Ferguson said:

Mods, if you're listening, surely this thread has run its course and has little left to contribute before more people get upset. 

I indeed think it's run it's course but ultimate this is one of those Marmite topics where you either like it or don't. I do think however majority of people are blowing this out of proportion due to some independent events doing this.

I'm going to lock this thread now. If anybody has a pressing need to discuss this further, drop me or the other mods a message ;) 

Archived