Transferring Citadel Paints to Dropper Bottles: How Do?

ElectricPaladin

Can anyone pass on some pointers for working this particular magic? In particular...

• What's your go-to brand of dropper bottle? Amazon links would be awesome.
  • How do you get the thicker paints (ie. layers and bases) into the dropper bottle?
  • Are there any kinds of GW paints that this doesn't work for? What about the technicals (ie. Typhus Corrosion, Nihilakh Oxide)? The Dry paints are, I assume, a lost cause, but what about 'Ardcoat?

And, of course, any other hints and tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I went through and did this to the majority of my paints and it worked well. If you have some relatively steady hands you can just pour it right into the bottles. Washes go right in no problems. For the paints I poured as much as I could then added a little water to the pot, shook it up and poured the rest in. It thins out the paint a little, but seeing as I thin my paints anyway it doesn't bother me. 

GW paints leave a little room in the bottle, but if you transfer P3 paints, those have a higher volume so you most likely won't get it all in the bottle (unless you get larger bottles). I did it with Nihilakh Oxide and Nurgle's Rot, and it works fine. I wouldn't do it with Typhus Corrosion because of the grit in it. I would most likely leave the gemstone paints alone as well. 

I use the 15ml bottles below. They are nice, and you can get different colored caps for quick reference (black for paint, red for washes, etc). Hope that helps. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ml-10ml-15ml-30ml-Plastic-Squeezable-Dropper-Bottles-Eye-Liquid-Dropper-LDPE-/272116026613?var=&hash=item3f5b610cf5:m:miNIeLXG9aaj9CFRgFSY8Wg

Edit: I found these on amazon, too. Same thing. 

https://www.amazon.com/EUBUY-Plastic-Dropping-Bottles-Solvents/dp/B00OT7I0U2/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482413464&sr=8-1&keywords=15ml+dropper+bottles

I've always considered this but I do quite like the pots as well in certain situations.  If only GW would start doing their air range in dropper bottles.

I know you can carefully peel the plastic labels off the GW pots to stick on your dropper bottles.  For 'Ardcoat, it's probably easier to just buy the Vallejo Gloss Varnish as it's the same stuff, but already in a dropper bottle.  I wouldn't put any of the textured paints in droppers as they really aren't designed to flow and even the Typhous Corrosion which might be ok in a dropper is actually quite a good one to use from the pot, (you can dip your brush to the bottom to pick up more particles).  I often like using the washes straight from the pot so probably wouldn't transfer these anyway.  

It's all personal preference really, if you think on of the types of paint would be good in a bottle, then try transferring one colour, use it for a while, give it chance to settle etc, and if it's still good then transfer the rest of the colours.

One other thing I know some people do, is add a small glass marble or stainless steel ball bearing to their dropper bottles to help mix the paint.

Archived