2nd Army - Start+Expand

Sarkazim

I'm tentatively looking at starting a second army down the road, but I'll start collecting them now and saving them for a rainy day project.  I'm leaning back toward Nighthaunt since that was one of the armies that I was looking at before settling on Shadowblades.  Also because of how easy it would be to teach the game with them. (Ignore Rend, can have a Caster, Flight Movement, and options for Mortal Wounds).  

The Starting force would look something like this @ 1500

3 x Tomb Banshee
2x Cairn Wraith 

12 x Spirit Hosts (6/3/3)
20 x Hexwraiths (10/10)

The reason is simple.  It's 4 x Getting started Boxes + Characters.  I'd probably just keep two of the Mortis Engines and probably sell/trade off the other two.  A solid core of 6 Spirit hosts with the 2 smaller units to 'Bubble Wrap' the Banshees, with the Wraiths to just poke around.  The 2 units of Hexwraiths are a bit large, but they're fast, and can pass through enemy units if needed.  

With that core list, expanding the list gives me a few options.  I'm asking now because there is a group getting a FW order together so we don't have to go individually.  
- I'm AWARE that Mournghoul and most of the FW stuff is pretty powerful, but the model is cool, fits the army.  Will it work well with this setup?
- The Morghast models look like fun to paint.  I did read a tactic on taking the Sword to summon a unit of them automatically.  So would it be a decent tactic with this list setup?
- I love the Banshees, but the Cairn Wraiths seem very situational.  Would dropping them hurt the list when going up to 2k?

The ideas would be to either
1) Add 3 more Spirit Hosts making (6/6/3) and the Mournghoul.  
2) Dropping 3 Spirit Hosts making (3/3/3) and adding the Mournghoul and Morghasts.
3) Dropping the Cairn Wraiths and adding the Mournghoul and Morghasts.

Thanks

The nighthaunt faction has no caster as far as i know. The army has no synergies, there are not enough bodies to protect objectives. The spirits needs buffing to realiably deal mortal wounds. It will be very hard to keep your heroes alive.

And don't forget that ethereal rule is only effective against low count high rend attacks from elite units. Units with high number of attacks with no rend such as battle line troops of all factions will chew your units very quickly. 

Imo night haunt army is not playable at this time if you hope to get a few wins.

Death's only strength comes from the synergies of being a grand alliance 

I really don't know what you mean by 'Unplayable'.  The impression I'm getting is dont do it at all, when I think it's a decent list to teach the game.  More of a loaner army than anything competitive, since that should be left up to the player.  So maybe I should just stick with the 1500 list?

I am aware there are better combos available.  There is a general trait that can make a Caster. Along with the Etereal rule and Mortal Wounds, they'll teach how those mechanics work.  For a first game, this appears easy to keep what the new player needs to know down to a minimum.  I wouldn't bring a power list and expect him to know how to play it, or enjoy getting beat by it.

-----

Going up from there I should be looking outside of Nighthaunt from the Sounds of it.  I picked up the Death Book yesterday for some reading anyways.  Any suggestions on a 1k List that I could stack with a 1-1.5k Nighthaunt list then?

-----
EDIT: A Simplified Nighthaunt list @ 1k.

Banshee
2 x Cairn Wraiths
12 x Spirit Hosts (6/6)
10 x Hex Wraiths (5/5)

This would be 2 Getting Started boxes, and just adding 2 units of Spirit Hosts.

On 12/11/2016 at 8:23 AM, Razorfate said:

Imo night haunt army is not playable at this time if you hope to get a few wins.

Haha you are saying this to someone (If i remember correctly) that plays an army consisting solely of Dark Riders and assassins. I think he might be up for the challenge ;)

@Kramer- Thanks for that.  To be fair, he wouldn't know that unless he's popping up on the Order forum where I spend most of my time.

This is for more down the road as I'm heavily occupied with my Dark Riders, and probably won't get around to it till Summer.  I'm downsizing my 40k stuff and I'm just turning it around for more Hobby stuff since Im on a strict budget right now.  I thought about getting more Dark Aelves and building Order Serpentis (and I can still go that route).  I've already got one Malignant starter box, and have a Banshee since I just like the model.  Other things are falling into place for it to happen.  I know a guy who wants the Mortis Engines, but is buying the other box for the Skeletons.  So I might be able to trade for a Neferata/Arkhan.  

The biggest decision that I'm trying to make soon is the Mournghoul.  There is a group that is combining to do a large FW order so I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting one.  Don't want it if I'm not going to be running a Death army.  Deathlords and Nighthaunt are the only two that really appeal to me from a modelling perspective, and I'm aware that they're not necessarily competitive.  A cool looking army to have as a break from the Shadowblades or to teach someone would be nice to have.

Archived