Clarification on +/- to hit

Wild Dave

Question

Hi All, 

Seeking a little clarification on what seems a simple concept on the face of it.

Which of the following 2 is correct with regards to +/- to hit?

Option A:

A hit modifier affects the role of a dice, i.e. a +1 to hit would make a unit that originally needed a 4+ to hit would need to roll a 3 as + 1 would change this to a 4, thus scoring a hit.

If this is true, would spirit hosts who do a mortal would on a hit roll of a 6 now only need a 5 to activate the special rule as a hit roll 5 would +1 to become a 6? 

Similarly, would a -1 to hit make a roll of a 2 become a 1? If this is true then units that get to re-roll misses of a 1 would actually be re-rolling 1's and 2's?

Option B:

The hit modifier affects the base requirement of a roll, i.e. a +1 to hit would make a unit that originally hit on a 4+ now needs a 3+ to hit.

In this option, the requirement of the hit value changes but the special rules, such as the spirit host needing a 6 to score a mortal would would still require their original values, meaning the +hit will literally only affect the roll to hit. The Spirit Host will now hit on a 4+ but still only score a mortal wound on a 6?

Thanks in advance, our group is looking to clear this up as we've seen some conflicting information recently. 

5 answers to this question

@BaldoBeardo is right.

Also if the rule says that it triggers on a 6 (rather than a 6 or more), then that's almost certainly sloppy editing by Forgeworld rather than an intention that a natural 5 would trigger it, but not a natural 6.

Alternatively for the pedants, you can get the same outcome if the buff says "may add 1" i.e. optional.  Add the +1 to the natural 5s and don't add it to the natural 6s.

Archived