Starting a batsman army, any advice appreciated.

Mamble94

Looking to start what is technically a mixed chaos army which i see more as a batsman army themed around bulls. Id love any advice as I haven't played with or against any of these models. 

2000 point:

·  

·      Doombull (general)                                                              120

o   Axe and shield

o   Great destroyer

·      Shar’tor the executioner                                                      240

·      Great Bray Shaman                                                               100

o   Crown of command

·      6 bullgors                                                                               360

o   Great axe

·      20 gors                                                                                   160

o   Gore blade and beast shield

·      20 gors                                                                                   160

o   Gore blade and beast shield

·      20 ungors                                                                              120

o   spears and shield

·      10 Centigors                                                                          160

·      Cygor                                                                                      200

·      Ghorgon                                                                                 220

·      Jabberslythe                                                                          140

I like the look of it, and how varied it is, but it looks like the name of the game competatively is to try to keep your keywords down.  Do this by either going Brayherd or Warherd more thoroughly.  I don't find the Gors all that great without the Wildstalker or Furious Brayherd battalion.  They need that near-guaranteed +1 Attack.  Brayherd is great for layering buffs on, and you don't have anything that can do that right now.

May also want to spread the centigor out so they can be more of a chaff-role as they sound like they have a hard time doing much on their own.

I think the army will look really thematic and inspiring in its diversity, but against lists made for synergy it'll really struggle I think.

Good call, I originally intended to go more heavily into the warheards but with the generals handbooks scenarios placing a stress on bodies I intended to use the brayheard units to score while the more powerful units go to work on the opponent, I think splitting the centaurs would be better though, any opinion on using the gors and ungors MSU style?

I think there is a Brayherd tactics thread somewhere around here.

If you are going heavy Brayherd I'd suggest going Wildstalker for 2k+ and Furious Brayherd for 1k.

Wildstalker needs a lot of bodies so will chew up lots of points.

I've seen people mention stretching out a unit of gor wide with a unit of spear ungor behind them, stabbing over them with the 2" range.

My idea is the opposite.  You need 4 units of ungor for Wildstalker.  My idea is to use them as screens infront of the gor.  Letting the enemy charge me, so that all my goats are within range of as many buffs as I can.  Let the ungor die, then Pile In 4" to victory!

I haven't tried it yet.

There's another post in the Chaos section giving details of the Warherd.  That's probably a better idea to read then anything I can suggest as I've only ran it once or twice and never in Matched play, only in Path to Glory.

From what I've read/seen/done though: The 2handed weapons are better for more damage and rend, be smart with your gorebull, run that Batallion if you can because Rule of 1 means you won't have your extra attacks generate extra attacks, so getting 2/1 is swell!

Jabberslythe is my favorite monster.  I just launch him at whatever is scary.  Doing d3 MW on a 4+ per wound in close combat is awesome.  Kill off characters, monsters, or units with it.  My favorite was killing like 8-12 Black Orks with him.  If I have multiple combats going on, I sometimes will just leave him for last as his blood is the big killer.  He should soak up some shooting too if your opponent knows about him and is rightly terrified.

Archived