Asymmetrical board split?

Ratamaplata

I've only ever seen people dividing the board in half by length/width or diagonally.

Does anyone ever use asymmetrical splits?

The rules show an interlocking L shape as an example, but you could also do a U and T interlocking shape, or a ring around the edges and a central zone (there's a battleplan using this I think?). I guess you could even make a split which doesn't allow any legal deployment (think of two interlocking combs)... although that would certainly be pointless ?

Seems like board split could be a massive advantage if chosen to benefit a certain army, but every batrep I watch just uses the usual divisions.

I think it would be a lot of fun and in narrative games can serve to highlight an armie's advantageous position over its opponents. In an ambush situation, or a siege for example. However I think that in a pick up game just using the standard deployment zones is best. they are a) more competitive as they give neither player any particular advantage and b) they are easier to delineate before deployment begins and so accelerate the process.  

There are several asymmetric scenarios in Bolt Action which I like a lot. One of the things that they do in those is to have the defender in a conventional deployment, 12" from the long edge or whatever, but then the attacker deploys by moving in off the table's opposite edge. This creates a good feeling of the situation that each army faces, one is dug in while the other is carefully approaching where their attack will commence.

You could apply this to some of the crazy table layouts you described too. Some kind of scenario where an attacker is trying to get the jump on an enemy while their forces are split up would be cool.

See attached.

mission_table.png

There are a number of battleplans "on the books" that work this way, but I haven't had a chance to play any of them.

I'd also love to play around with weird table shapes, possibly by using Shattered Dominion tiles and moving them around (ie. using a missing tile to represent a giant chasm or an inlet or some kind of high fantasy hazard, like magma)... but that will have to wait until the pie-in-the-sky future in which I have a garage to be a garage gamer in :(.

Archived